NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Waders opinion - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 01-01-2014, 03:32 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Waders opinion

LL Bean flyweight breathable waders $79.00 lifetime guarantee you can't go wrong.
for simple fishing like trout in New Jersey and a triper two up at Salmon River will be fine.
unless you're a die-hard basic waiters will be fine.
like said layer up in the spring and fall and you should be comfy.
I've h ad my ll for 3 years without an issue. if a leak occurs send em back.
it's all about a warranty
Old 01-01-2014, 03:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

X2 for the LL Bean. Lifetime warranty, with easy no hassle returns.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:13 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I agree with much that's been said about your question. Everyone has had good points. Like anything else in this world. You get what you pay for. That's not to say you can't purchase something less costly and F'N love it! I own a Jeep. It's no Bentley but I really love it. People on here would never buy a jeep and tell you to stay away. Anyway I digress....

I bought a pair of Duck Unlimited Guide Series neoprene chest waders a couple months ago. They cost me $100 bucks or so. I love them. Durability may become an issue down the line but seem to be constructed. I'll keep my fingers crossed

Some will say "you don't need neoprene waders. Just layer up". I have pulled that move myself. If you are in the water for a while you will begin to feel the affects. First toes, then on up. neoprene does get "swampy in the heat". It like running around in a wetsuit during a 90 degree day!

What conditions do you fish under? I know this is a Fresh Water board, but if you're planning on surf fishing in rubber hip boots, one of us may need to call the coast guard.

With all this said I own rubber hip boots and neoprene chest waders.

Run out to some of your local sportsman shops, and try a couple on if you aren't convinced. Nobody's twisting your arm to purchase them then and there.

Be good Bro
Old 01-03-2014, 12:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser1234 View Post
Ok. I'm gonna get them from dicks any specific ones? I have gift cards. Also I more meant what material should I get
The stuff Dick's carries is crap... Especially their "Field and Stream" brand gear. Sell your Dick's gift cards online and use the money to buy some real gear from Cabela's (who also carries Simms) or another outfitter.

I learned this lesson the hard way, after buying a pair of breathable waders, a backpack, a rain jacket, a pair of rain pants, and an insulated bib from Dicks over a couple years. None of it lasted more than a season. Now I only buy quality gear with lifetime warranties and couldn't be happier. The crap that Dick's sells is cheap for a reason...

Hope this saves you some hassle. If you can't sell the gift cards, buy lures or line... Something they can't screw up.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:13 PM
Old Soft Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp View Post
The stuff Dick's carries is crap... Especially their "Field and Stream" brand gear. Sell your Dick's gift cards online and use the money to buy some real gear from Cabela's (who also carries Simms) or another outfitter.

I learned this lesson the hard way, after buying a pair of breathable waders, a backpack, a rain jacket, a pair of rain pants, and an insulated bib from Dicks over a couple years. None of it lasted more than a season. Now I only buy quality gear with lifetime warranties and couldn't be happier. The crap that Dick's sells is cheap for a reason...

Hope this saves you some hassle. If you can't sell the gift cards, buy lures or line... Something they can't screw up.
X2
Old 01-03-2014, 04:06 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Cool Re: Waders opinion

I would first ask waste or chest waders? If you are tall, then you need to get waders to accommodate the inseam needed.

As far as warmth. Neoprene is good, but hard to move in and weigh a lot more than breathable fabric. Are you walking long distances? Will you use them in summer as well?

The most versatile would be a breathable chest high stocking foot wader that convert to waste high. Why buy 3 sets of waders?!?!

With that said, what's your price range?

I use Simms headwaters waders, chest high stocking foot. I layer using under armor 3.0 base and if needed a pair of fleece wader liner/pants. I wear smart wool hiking socks. If you are willing to spend a little more $, yes I would absolutely recommend Simms!

Hope this helps!
Old 01-03-2014, 04:14 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Dicks by me carries korker boots and I've never heard anyone say korkers are crap.just saying.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:51 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwl2oneida View Post
Dicks by me carries korker boots and I've never heard anyone say korkers are crap.just saying.
Home Depot sells Kohler faucets just like the commercial plumbing stores at a fraction of the cost.
Companies big or small make a less quality merchandise for less quality stores.
Not saying the korkers are a cheaper version at Dicks but you can't sell top quality merchandice for a cheaper price unless there is a reason.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:42 AM
iceehot6766

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Dave View Post
Home Depot sells Kohler faucets just like the commercial plumbing stores at a fraction of the cost.
Companies big or small make a less quality merchandise for less quality stores.
Not saying the korkers are a cheaper version at Dicks but you can't sell top quality merchandice for a cheaper price unless there is a reason.
Agreed with your statement in general, not only as it applies to sporting rquipment....Huge companies sell surplus production and/ or defects to other big companies and then they are marketed under that new companies name....Some stuff is excellent but the defects are hoffible....you just gotta either avoid or go by anothers recommendation....
Old 01-04-2014, 09:03 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I wear Cabela’s neoprene stocking foot w/ Simms felt soled studded guide boots.

When the water warms, I wade in shorts with the abovementioned boots.

I had light weight breathable waders, but discovered that I really didn’t need them for the short period of time that I employed them,……………….plus they weren’t durable enough, always getting holes from thorns, etc., whilst bushwacking to remote honey holes.