NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Mercer lake - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-26-2013, 08:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Mercer lake

I fish Assunpink frequently and have had a great deal of success there both day and night. There are quality fish there, ya just have to week through a bunch of dinks and FW bluefish. Great Catfish lake as well. Agreed that it can get crowded. Have gone there twice to be met with a long line at the boat ramp due to some kinda tournament. Off to greener pastures on those occasions.

Fished Mercer twice. Once not a scratch...the DEAD SEA and the second time lost all power to the TM and had to paddle from the back...DEAD SEA again. Timing may have been off, but not likely that I will make it to strike three there!
Old 05-27-2013, 08:32 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Relatively new to the serious bass fishing scene (about 3 years). Have been avoiding Assunpink because I had been hearing how crowded it is. Last week I said screw it. I went 3 times, 3 hours each and caught at least a 1/2doz each time and lost a few more. All between 1.5 and 3 lbs. Started towards a little cove and saw a guy fishing from shore, giving him some room I pointed my boat to the side of a blow down that he wasn't able to cast to. As I drew closer he started throwing like crazy in that direction (to claim his territory) but still couldn't reach the spot I was heading for. First cast I hooked a 3 or 4 pounder but on the first jump it threw the lure. Poor guy ran through the water and practically drowned trying to get to that spot. My point is, any of the lakes marked by the state as #1 for bass will produce, if you are there at the right time and fishing the right spots. For instance at Assunpink, I saw a lot of 2 man boats where one guy would be casting toward shore and his lures were landing ten feet short of the bank and the other guy would be throwing off the other side toward the middle of the lake. All my fish were caught within 3 feet of the shore. Another example, last year I concentrated on Farrington and was ready to give up on the place until I hit it in the fall. Had two great days, one of those I caught 3 fish between 3 and 5 pounds.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:45 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Any specific area at Mercer to target?