NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

4/20 Trout Grand Slam! - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-21-2013, 09:51 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: 4/20 Trout Grand Slam!

I won't name all the spots but I have caught them in the upper SBRR(not the AA club stockies but wild fish), Dunnfield and a few tribs to the Flatbrook.

Interestingly tiger trout is a cross between a male brook trout and female brown trout - it can't happen the other way or so I've read. Also the tiger trout itself is sterile which means once it dies, you won't see it again unless you get that cross breeding again.

It is extremely rare yet I once caught 3 in the same stream on the same day. All were small -4" fish.

Over in Pa I caught one that was about 5" and had a unique pattern. Three years later I caught the same one and it was 10"

In the book "Trout Biology", the author quotes a hybridization study done in 1956. In the male brook/female brown cross, 65% of the eggs hatched but only 4% fry survived. The reverse was 0.5%. In other words, if you get one, take a pic 'cause you may never see one again in your lifetime.

Other crosses like brown/bow or bow/brook are even rarer - something like 1 in a million. Mostly because of genetics but also spawning times(bow is spring/brook and brown fall). Although some wild bows have white tipped fins like brookies they are not brookbows.

Last edited by buzzbaiter; 04-21-2013 at 10:10 AM..
Old 04-21-2013, 12:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: 4/20 Trout Grand Slam!

Great info buzz! Thanks for posting!
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube