NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Looking for Striped Bass Surf Equipment - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 08-08-2015, 10:45 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Looking for Striped Bass Surf Equipment

Hi all,
Been trying to get ready for the fall striped bass. Will be fishing Sandy Hook and maybe Island Beach State Park surf this October and November. Do not have a boat so I'll be fishing from shore with plugs and bucktails.

Would like some help deciding on what equipment I need to get started since none of my existing rods can launch the plugs far enough into the surf or retrieve them at the correct pace without dragging on the bottom.

As far as I understand from previous advice and help I have received from both members of this forum and surf fishermen in the field is that I need either a 7foot or a 9 foot Medium action rod with a Reel that can hold more than 200 yards of 30 pound braid(or similar).

I have been looking at the 9 foot Tsunami Saphire Surf Spinning Rod http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...ab98c7858405e7 which can cast 1-4oz lures and is medium action.
Also have been looking at the Cabela's Salt StrikerŪ Spinning Reel SS-50B http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...d89804eedb7b89 which holds over 390 yards of 30 pound braid and weighs 16 oz.
I picked those two because they were in my price range..

Am i going in the right direction or am i just wasting my money on the wrong equipment? I imagine that most of the plugs I'll be casting will be 1oz to maybe 3oz in weight. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-10-2015, 01:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Looking for Striped Bass Surf Equipment

i am having a yard sale in Cranford on Sunday and will have everything you need.
Recommend a set up for plugs and jigs and one for bait. Have bait set up thrown out while you works the plugs. Will be making post later in the week about yard sale but figured i would respond to you first Give me a call if you have any questions

Alex
201-741-1823
Old 08-10-2015, 11:13 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thank you for the offer man! I do have a few bait rods already, however when throwing the plugs I figure I'll go along the beach and cast until i find the fish, then move on when they stop biting. I don't like to be tied down to one spot with a bait rod. However, if that is the wrong strategy to use while throwing plugs in the surf, please let me know.

Also is my planned equipment close to what everyone uses to fish with lures?
Old 08-11-2015, 09:21 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Not sure of your budget but a moderate price set up that will cover alot of range for your fall surf fishing is:

The St Croix Mojo Surf either 9' 3/4-4 oz or 10' 1-4oz $200-$225 paired with The Penn Spinfisher V 5500 $150-$170 40lb Braid

This is a good middle of the road set up not economy but not high end.

Also stay away from Cabelas and buy from a local privately owned Tackle shop, you will get better service and knowledge, check out some of the sponsors on this site, I am sure they would be able to put something real nice together for you.

Last edited by Looksfishy; 08-11-2015 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: added info
Old 08-12-2015, 03:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thank you for the suggestions guys;MVP you're a bit far from me but I'll think about it, thanks!