NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Bunker spoon rods - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Classifieds
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Classifieds Use this board to post your FISHING related items for sale or trade. Non fishing related items belong in Non Fishing.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:44 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Bunker spoon rods

Hows it going guys, I am looking to pick up a used pair or single bunker spoon trolling rod. I am just recently getting into trolling, and starting to think that my bunker spoons aren't getting the proper action because of the inappropriate rod action or atleast thats what i would like to think haha. regardless if anyone has custom trolling rods they are trying to sell let me know! I am also contemplating between the Tony Maja rod because i have heard nothing but great things on it

Thank you!
Old 05-27-2015, 07:52 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Bunker spoon rods

Tony makes a great rod
Old 05-27-2015, 09:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Tony's rods very good for running the spoons properly
Old 05-28-2015, 11:37 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I've been pulling spoons on wire for over 10 years with the same Tsunami TSTBC 761HW 7' 6" wire line rods. For $100 a piece brand new you cant go wrong.

Gustard Wood
Tidewater 216
Old 05-30-2015, 06:00 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

If your just getting into it then I agree look into the tsunami rods. For the money they are hard to beat. Scotty has been catching fish with them for a couple of weeks now on spoons so he knows they work well. Yes the Tony Maja rods are sweet too but are $$$.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:17 AM
NJFishing.com Member

what reel do you pair up with these rods i have a penn senator 114h do you think it would work
Old 05-30-2015, 11:36 AM
NJFishing.com Member

thanks for all the great input guys! jigging world is running a special 15% off which would bring the maja rod down a bit but I'm still thinking the tsunami, especially based off what has been said here ... as for the reel i have a couple penn 113s and 114s that i am going to use just not sure if i should use wire or braid any input on that would also be greatly appreciated!

from what i have read a 114 should be good maybe a bit big but i think many people are using the senators for trolling spoons
Old 05-30-2015, 07:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Bunker spoons use wire with 4/0 FR Penns ! A lot of opinions on rods but the longer rods those 8 to 9' with proper taper will outperform shorter rods hands down especially when trolling from smaller boats where the wave action can stop or hesitate the pattern ! The longer rods will prevent the spoon from hesitating as they pull more steadily thru this hesitation !