NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Round Valley water level - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-03-2014, 11:31 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Round Valley water level

Does anyone know why the round valley reservoir level is so low and getting lower by the week ? Over the winter it was near capacity. Today I walked the shore around the diving area and where the waters edge is now was close to 10ft deep in winter and early spring ? Where does the water go when they lower it, does it go back to spruce run where they pump it from or somewhere else ? I also dive there often so it's got me wondering.

Neil
Old 08-04-2014, 01:36 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Round Valley water level

They had been releasing water at a fairly high rate quite consistently for some time this past mid spring into mid summer via the S. Br. Rockaway Crk. This creek had its headwaters cut off when the res was built so a release mechanism was designed into the dam to allow for a maintenance flow to maintain an established baseline flow in the creek. In addition they often use this outlet in conjunction with or as an alternate to the pumping station on the S. Br. Raritan to help maintain the required baseline flow in the mainstem Raritan.

I don't know why they lowered the res as they have, although I do have an idea or 2, but if you check this USGS guage you can see the extent and volume of the releases... http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nj/nwis/uv...65,00060,62614 You'll see they finally shut off the flow most recently on July 28. My first guess as to the 'why' would be an intent to pump some 'fresh' more nutrient-bearing water from the SBR into the res at some point in an attempt to boost the food chain from the bottom up since this has been an on-going problem there. Then again it may just be a need to do some maintenance work on some structures there.

BTW, the water isn't pumped from Spruce Run Res, it's pumped directly from the SBR just above the YMCA Camp Carr. They have the ability to both pump up to the res from here as well as release water back into the SBR, which they often do during the summer to maintain the Raritan mainstem flow level. An alternative release into the SBR from RVR would be via Prescott Brk which also had its headwaters cut off by the res and as such has a release built into the dam on the SW side of the res to maintain the brooks flow. However this outlet is generally never used for this purpose, just as a maintenance flow for the brook.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:57 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I was there this weekend and it is the lowest I've ever seen it.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:17 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Down to 91% capacity... It is actually a good thing as there is hope of them pumping in much needed new water...

Here is good link for capacity and flow levels...

http://www.njwsa.org/data.htm

Find the Round Valley Trout Association on Facebook.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:01 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thanks guys for all the great information. I wonder how far down they are going to go with it. I noticed when we dove there a few weeks ago that the water was bluer than normal. It usually appears green when looking from the bottom up but lately it's been more blue. I have no idea what to make of that. The water was also a little more turbid than usual even in the normally still clear water in the 20-50 ft range.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:12 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Dave, I know the mechanics are not set up to cover this but hypothetically would pumping equal amounts of water in and out of the swimming area and reservoir help with the nutrient issue?

Last edited by NickN; 08-05-2014 at 02:39 PM..
Old 08-05-2014, 04:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
Dave, I know the mechanics are not set up to cover this but hypothetically would pumping equal amounts of water in and out of the swimming area and reservoir help with the nutrient issue?
Hmmm...there are some kind of pipes and stuff in the back corner of the swimming lake. Maybe of enough of those kids peed in the water while swimming, they could pump it into the reservoir and enrich the waters with Nitrogen.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Hmmm...there are some kind of pipes and stuff in the back corner of the swimming lake. Maybe of enough of those kids peed in the water while swimming, they could pump it into the reservoir and enrich the waters with Nitrogen.

Heheh, yep and some ammonia too!

My best guess would be they wanted to create enough of a 'void' in the capacity to be able to pump a sizable volume of 'new' water in from the SBR when the conditions in that river are suitable.
Frankly I was hoping one of the many folks from RVTA who post and/or lurk here might have some insight or info as to why the res was lowered so much.
I'll shoot an email off to Biologist Shawn C. to see if he has any knowledge of why it's down so far and/or what the plans may be for re-filling it.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:05 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B. View Post
Heheh, yep and some ammonia too!

My best guess would be they wanted to create enough of a 'void' in the capacity to be able to pump a sizable volume of 'new' water in from the SBR when the conditions in that river are suitable.
Frankly I was hoping one of the many folks from RVTA who post and/or lurk here might have some insight or info as to why the res was lowered so much.
I'll shoot an email off to Biologist Shawn C. to see if he has any knowledge of why it's down so far and/or what the plans may be for re-filling it.
There must be a good reason. It's not like it is an especially dry summer. Most of the area reservoirs are still pretty full so I was very surprised to see RV down so much.