NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Opening Day 2013: How Did You Do? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-07-2013, 10:15 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Opening Day 2013: How Did You Do?

This is a thread to share your opening day experiences.

As I have done for the last twenty-something years, I went to Seeley's Pond (Union County) on opening day. I arrived there early to reserve my 'spot'. Lot of anglers there this year with the usual elbow-to-elbow antics. I saw two anglers almost come to blows over one guy moving into a spot another angler claimed to have been holding since 5:30 am.

The fish were being landed fast and furious for the first hour after the season opened, then the fishing just kind of died. I didn't bother moving around to try other spots on the pond because I figured there were enough anglers there that it was unlikely that there were undiscovered pockets of fish.

I landed a Rainbow and a Brookie. A modest take for opening day, but I was just happy to be fishing and looked forward to an awesome lunch.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:39 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Opening Day 2013: How Did You Do?

Didn't get a chance to post last night. Hit the Rockaway after lunch, water was low, cold and crystal clear and not really moving too much at my first stop. After 45 minutes of drifting worms the only thing I had to show for it was a chub It was time to move own and find something.

Waded downstream found some faster water and eventually caught 3 brookies on worms All released to grow more as they were only about 12" each. Ended up being a beautiful afternoon on the water. Good to get out. Stopped at my original spot before leaving to cast a Panther Martin in the deep area there and hooked another trout but lost it just before I was able to land it.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:33 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Opening Day 2013: How Did You Do?

I didn't catch a thing. BUT......had a great time at Duke Island Park even if some of it was just B'Sing and eating donuts and drinking kawfee.
Plenty of room to move around, a relaxing time, sometimes it's not just about the fishing.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:36 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I didn't catch any trout but a 3 LBS smallie was a nice consolation prize.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:28 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I fished the Pompton River.

All Brookies !

Red worms & Rooster tails were the ticket
Old 04-07-2013, 12:43 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS
I didn't catch a thing. BUT......had a great time at Duke Island Park even if some of it was just B'Sing and eating donuts and drinking kawfee.
Plenty of room to move around, a relaxing time, sometimes it's not just about the fishing.
I got skunked on the Coopalong along with every body else that fished there. Should have gone to the meet and greet early. I stopped at Duke Island around noon, didn't see anybody from NJ Fishing. There were a few fishermen but not much action.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:44 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Fished the muddysquan- it was a slaughter ... About 100 fish between 5 of us, power bait and mealworm combo....
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 04-08-2013, 08:44 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I fished the D&R Canal in West Trenton. I caught 4 brookies on a 1/8 oz. green and orange gold blade Roostertail. 3 where released and 1 went home with a little girl fishing next to me, that asked if she could unhook the fish for me and bring him home to eat.
Not many people were out early and everyone there seemed to catch at lest one fish, most had there limit after a few hours.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:27 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I only had an hour to fish, so I hit the Ramapo. Caught ten brookies and left. All on fatheads.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:22 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Fished SRC in the morning. Very few stocked fish this opening day. One rainbow, one wild brown and one sucker (other then me).

Relocated and did better in the early afternoon.