NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

quota question? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations This board is closed for posting but will serve as an archieve for all Fisheries Management and Regulations posts from other boards.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:40 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default quota question?

since we went over our sea basss quota for 2009. when does the quota for 2010 begin? just wondering if maybe once the new qota year started maybe they'd lift the 3 mile rule and capts and mates might have a chance to feed their family's and pay mortgages via offshore.

Murr722@gmail.com

THE REIGNING, DEFENDING, PUT UP OR SHUT UP
CHAMPION

Put Up or Shut Up IX Prelims winner

If you don't like fish thats "fishy" eat chicken.

"theres a million fine looking women in the world dude,but they dont all buy you st. croixs for your birthday,most of them just yell at ya for fishing to much."

"Murray's Law: The uglier a fish is, the better it tastes." - Lard Almighty

LAB,always in our hearts & ears
Old 11-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Site Sponsor

Default Re: quota question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurr711
since we went over our sea basss quota for 2009. when does the quota for 2010 begin? just wondering if maybe once the new qota year started maybe they'd lift the 3 mile rule and capts and mates might have a chance to feed their family's and pay mortgages via offshore.
The 2010 quota starts Jan. 1, 2010 (and is the same size quota as 2009)

Since the closure is in effect until April of 2010, we are screwed until such time as the closure is either defeated, or ends.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:31 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Hmmm... then that would seem to mean that without the offshore sea bassing, the numbers should be WELL under the quota for 2010. Whatever it takes, I need to get out on the offshore biscuits.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:16 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMonger
Hmmm... then that would seem to mean that without the offshore sea bassing, the numbers should be WELL under the quota for 2010. Whatever it takes, I need to get out on the offshore biscuits.
Sorry, does not work that way.

First, if the landings numbers stand we are so far over our quota, and 2010's quota is exactly the same, that our regs are likely to be 10 fish at 13 1/2 inches with a 4 week season (I am making the numbers up of course, I don't have the reduction tables in front of me)
Point is, if you are allowed 1 million pounds of sea bass in 2010, and in 2009 your regs supposedly allowed you to cacth 2.5 million pounds, you have some serious cutbacks to make for 2010.

Second, MRFSS does not sample wave 1 (Jan & Feb) so the landings numbers for those two months are always ZERO. So you gain nothing since you don't land anything anyway (according to the numbers)

Third, the only state to show any landings in wave two (March & April) was NJ, so none of the bass landed in MD or VA (who fish all winter long like we do) get counted either.

Sooooo.... you will start the 2010 year with exactly what you always did, minus a small amount from wave 2.

Nice try though!
Old 11-09-2009, 05:53 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Smile Re: quota question?

Carefull with making those numbers up Captain. Someone may take them out of context and say, "This is what the recreational sector suggest we have for a quota."

I FISH I VOTE I MARCHED (BOTH TIMES.)
Old 11-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelron
Carefull with making those numbers up Captain. Someone may take them out of context and say, "This is what the recreational sector suggest we have for a quota."
Sorry, typo.

What I MEANT to say is the quota is 25,000,000 pounds and we should likely have 956 sea bass per man at 7 inches, no closed season!