NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Private boat - preferred tuna chunking rod? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 10-10-2021, 11:11 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Private boat - preferred tuna chunking rod?

Looking for some input on a tuna chunking rod. Something that can handle the yellows and non-giant bluefins (up to 125 lbs?) midshore and offshore. Considering something in the 6' length. Will likely pair it with a talica 16 or 20, or the makaira 15. (I'm open to suggestions on reels too!)

Rod budget is $300 but doesnt have to be a $300 rod. Off chance I hook a bigeye offshore, I'd like it to have a bit of nuts so I have a fighting chance of landing it.

I've been using my father's gear, some of which is older. They work and weve landed countless fish on them but I'd like my own, newer set up. Hes got an older Avet, accurate and a talica. We SMOKED the Avet. And his rods are def dated, yet functional.

Figured this is a good place to drop the question, esp during the epic tuna fishing we were experiencing prior to this blow. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2021, 01:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Private boat - preferred tuna chunking rod?

Go see Kevin Bogan. Check out the Fish Poison FC65XH it's 6'6" long. What model is the Avet reel? I sent my pro ex 4/2 back to the factory for service when it wouldn't shift a few years back. It wasn't under warranty. They fixed it and sent it back for around $50 bucks. It might be worth giving them a call.

Last edited by Ol Pedro; 10-13-2021 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: Improve thread
Old 10-13-2021, 09:46 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Pedro View Post
Go see Kevin Bogan. Check out the Fish Poison FC65XH it's 6'6" long. What model is the Avet reel? I sent my pro ex 4/2 back to the factory for service when it wouldn't shift a few years back. It wasn't under warranty. They fixed it and sent it back for around $50 bucks. It might be worth giving them a call.
See Kevin Bogan. I bought a rod from him many years ago and have wipped 90lb yellowfins rather quickly. You get what you pay for!
Old 10-13-2021, 10:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

He built our tilefish rods. Weve put 55+ lb goldens on the deck with his sticks. He also built me a tog jigging stick that is sweet. I actually put a 25 lb mahi in the boat with it last summer. They're good builds. I'll give him a shout.

Open to other recos too!!