NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

no lakers but great trip. - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-01-2021, 05:52 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default no lakers but great trip.

we hit lake sunapee at 6am friday with high hopes.20 inches of ice,not to much snow and clear skies.we worked our way out to 35-40 ft and started cutting holes.we covered lots of ground but could not buy a fish.never even read one on
the machines.we were not reading any bait either so we knew it was going to be tough.we fished till 3:30 and called it a day,lake 1 us 0.saturday we are back to the lake at 6am with a new game plan.we are going to fish the mid water{12-25
ft}.we new with the forecast of snow,sleet,rain and wind coming in it was going to be a tough one.we are cutting and moving at a good clip trying to find some fish.at 9:30 my son hooks up only to loose the fish just under the ice.was not a giant but a laker for sure.now with positive vibes flying around with all the snow
we start really working the area.fished every tube,spoon,bucktail,rattles and raps
of every size and color but could not reconnect.we end the day at 3pm and head in.so sunday morning we are back to the lake a 5:30 and are now just
trying to catch any kind of fish to avoid a total skunk.with the score 2 zip we
know we have to find something.we start were my son had the laker on but
instead of working that area all day we decide to work our way in to the 7-12ft depths.i cut a hole in 11ft and start jigging.i was there about 5 minutes when i get the first hit in 2 -1/2 days.its a perch not a big one but a perch.we laughed as the hardened smell of skunk slowly drifted away.we stated to pick and pluck at the perch and ended the trip at 12noon.we did not do well on this trip but we will be going back.its was just a beautiful place with great people.we are going to fish there every year now going forward.everything is real close and you don't need snow machines to fish the lake.by all means if you have them bring then as the lake is huge and its all legal.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:54 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: no lakers but great trip.

Hey at least you able to kick the dreaded skunk off with the perch. that place sounds nice were there other people out on the lake? if so did you talk to them and were they getting anything? let me guess you guys were not using hand augers to get through 20" of ice i can't remember the last time i had to drill through 20" of ice.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:05 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Getting out with friends and family, that what it is all about.

Getting some fish is just a cherry on top.

Glad you managed to shake off the skunk on the last day.

Andre
Old 03-01-2021, 02:10 PM
Site Sponsor

Sounds like a good fun trip reguardless of the fishing.....
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 03-01-2021, 05:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

all hand augers.we spoke to a few different peeps and all said the same"she is not giving anything up today".must have seen 50 tip-ups in the three days and never one up.the week before my son was catching 3-5 a day.i think the bait{smelts} moved out and the lakers followed.some folks were staying over nite in there shanty's and not getting anything.was pretty cool watching peeps driving their cars and trucks on the ice.big lake so there were no crowds.everyone was searching for them.even the guys fishing for burbot were
complaining.spoke with peeps that were fishing different parts of the lake and it was all the same,no good.she can have round #1 but i am going up again next year to even it up.just a great place with everything ya need real close and plenty of good fishing with in walking distance of the parking lot.the regulars we spoke to said that was the only area they ice fished.lots of lumps,drop offs and flats.we fished on hump that came up to 12ft from 52ft.at least i got to wash all
the jigs in the box so they will be clean for next year.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: no lakers but great trip.

No lack of effort on your part. You guys always fish hard. It was tough all over for the most part. I’m a true believer that the full moon makes the sweet water fishing tough! You’ll get em next time for sure! Glad you guys got out there and had some fun! It’s all about the time spent with family and friends!
Old 03-12-2021, 09:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Even with tough fishing it sounds like a blast!