NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

From Shannons Fly Shop: - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-31-2022, 07:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Unhappy From Shannons Fly Shop:

It is with great sorrow that I report that Jim Holland has lost his battle with cancer late this morning. Jim’s heart kept him moving and thinking forward many months past what his body told him was enough. He fought till the end. He was planning a fall return to the shop as late as mid-week. This was not denial, but fortitude and drive. His body simply could take no more. Jim passed peacefully at Morristown Memorial Hospital.
Jim was a history teacher and man of faith combining his love for both at Villa Walsh Academy for his professional career. Shannon’s Fly and Tackle was the epicenter of his passion. He was a friend to all the rivers and fish, and mentor to the fly-fishing public.
Our condolences go to his mother Mary, his brother Chris, and the many whose lives Jim touched in his decades of public interactions.
As his celebration of life plans evolve in the coming days you will all be kept abreast of updates, time and location.
Say a prayer for his mom, brother, and extended family.
One of the best just got away from us. May his run up the river never end.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:40 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: From Shannons Fly Shop:

The loss of such a fine gentleman is truly sad. He will be missed. RIP Jim.

The best gift I ever got:
Dad took me fishing!
Old 08-01-2022, 10:04 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Awful news, growing up in Hunterdon I frequented the store as a kid with my dad. For a time my dad lived right across the street from the shop and we'd always see Jim hanging outside passing along information to other fisherman. A very helpful and passionate guy, truly a huge loss for the community, may he rest in peace.
Old 08-01-2022, 01:08 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Unhappy Re: From Shannons Fly Shop:

sad to hear that! didn't know he was sick, hadn't been over there in a couple years i guess. real nice guy, passionate for fishing
Old 08-01-2022, 05:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

A very passionate angler from what I hear. Rest In Peace! Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

sad news may he rest in peace
Old 08-01-2022, 09:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I only had the privilege of meeting Jim once but he seemed to be a great guy that would do anything to help another angler.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:44 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

R.I.P. my friend !
Old 08-02-2022, 07:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I still have the flies he gave me. I pulled out my wallet and offered him money. He refused to take any. They are flies he personally used and caught smallmouth bass from the South Branch on. He had taken me to his car or SUV, don't remember which, but from the back he pulled a box and picked them out for me. That had been my purpose in showing up at the shop that day, buying fly tackle in hopes of my catching river bass that way. I did buy a lot of stuff, but of course the several flies he gave me meant and mean most. I did hook a bass on one of them during the Corona Summer, when my brother Rick and I floated from Stanton Station five miles on down. This is really sad news, Andy. Jim Stabile emailed me the link to your post here. He was much too young to be dying just yet. Jim was a marvel not just for the shop and his fishing every chance he got, but for teaching the young some of what they need most to survive civilization. Yes, we go out and fish to restore sanity, but we do come back to this place and history teaches what it is.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:33 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Going to his viewing this evening, He was a mentor to me, a teacher and a very much an older brother. I will miss him terribly.