NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Round Valley trout fishing from shore - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 11-05-2020, 05:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Round Valley trout fishing from shore

Hey guys. A buddy of mine and I have been taking our kids (4 and 5 year olds) to shore fish for rainbows each weekend since early October at dawn. This has been the least productive fall shore trout fishing at RVR I’ve had in the past 25 years that I’ve been going there. My son and I haven’t even gotten a hit from a trout while my buddy has only caught 2 in the 4 outings that we’ve done. However, we’ve had decent success with some bass, pickerel and crappies.

We’ve been running a standard powerbait rig, egg sinker, 3’ leader that has always produced in the past. We’re tried the shore past the dam between the recreation lake and the main lake and also rangers cove without much success.

Haven’t seen many fish caught either, maybe 3 total in our 4 trips.

Has anyone else had any luck there this fall?

We had a warm October and with the water level being so low, I’m thinking it must be having a significant effect on the shore fishing. Any thoughts? I’ve kinda been waiting for it to “turn on” and it just doesn’t seem like it’s happening this year.

We’re planning to go this weekend again. This kids have been having a great time regardless but we’d love to get a few trout on the lines for them. Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-05-2020, 05:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Round Valley trout fishing from shore

I tried in the same areas a week and a half ago with shiners and got a decent smallmouth and a couple missed hits. No trout for me and stayed away from other people so didn’t see how they were doing.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:27 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Can't guess why the fishing is slow, unless fewer got stocked, which I have no idea about, except that the virus did upset things in the spring....In 2016 when the water was at record low level, the fall shoreline trout fishing was fantastic.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:21 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Round Valley trout fishing from shore

Fish at night if you can. Always had good luck with Velveeta cheese for Rainbows, what about the cooked shrimp too ?
Old 11-06-2020, 02:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Over the years, I start having luck casting a Yo Zuri, at the very end of November through the remainder of the winter. And, I catch more when the reservoir is at full pool.
Old 11-06-2020, 06:29 PM
NJFishing.com Member

RV shore fishing went to hell as soon as the internet took hold and spot burned that place .. i used to get rides there pre-driving days and id always kill it / limit out QUICK .. my SPOT was the far rangers cove with that one 15/20 yard wide sandbank with the steep dropoff , the center of that crossing towards te resticted area hell of a honey hole with 35/40+ ft depths , always held huge monster trout .. WAS good
Old 11-06-2020, 08:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthrax2244 View Post
Hey guys. A buddy of mine and I have been taking our kids (4 and 5 year olds) to shore fish for rainbows each weekend since early October at dawn. This has been the least productive fall shore trout fishing at RVR I’ve had in the past 25 years that I’ve been going there. My son and I haven’t even gotten a hit from a trout while my buddy has only caught 2 in the 4 outings that we’ve done. However, we’ve had decent success with some bass, pickerel and crappies.

We’ve been running a standard powerbait rig, egg sinker, 3’ leader that has always produced in the past. We’re tried the shore past the dam between the recreation lake and the main lake and also rangers cove without much success.

Haven’t seen many fish caught either, maybe 3 total in our 4 trips.

Has anyone else had any luck there this fall?

We had a warm October and with the water level being so low, I’m thinking it must be having a significant effect on the shore fishing. Any thoughts? I’ve kinda been waiting for it to “turn on” and it just doesn’t seem like it’s happening this year.

We’re planning to go this weekend again. This kids have been having a great time regardless but we’d love to get a few trout on the lines for them. Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated.

Are the COVID crowds still there? Or has it settled down to just an angler or two on weekdays? (Maybe you fished on the weekend?)
Old 11-07-2020, 05:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate01 View Post
I tried in the same areas a week and a half ago with shiners and got a decent smallmouth and a couple missed hits. No trout for me and stayed away from other people so didn’t see how they were doing.
Thanks for sharing.

A friend of a friend caught a small, but handsome little hook-jawed Tiger Trout out of the boat launch cove Yesterday.. Took a shiner. Also caught a few lmb, nothing big. He soaked power bait as well but no takers
Old 11-07-2020, 06:13 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Fish at night if you can. Always had good luck with Velveeta cheese for Rainbows, what about the cooked shrimp too ?
Thanks Andy. I’ve done the night-time rainbows from my boat with shrimp and had success but with the kids now I can’t get out on the night bite. Once they get a bit older it’ll be game on. Have you ever tried those baits from shore during the day time? Seems like it might work. I’ll give it a shot And let you know
Old 11-07-2020, 06:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Litton View Post
Are the COVID crowds still there? Or has it settled down to just an angler or two on weekdays? (Maybe you fished on the weekend?)
I’ve only been able to get there on the weekends. We get there at dawn and stay until somewhere between 10am -12pm. There are some fishermen but there aren’t that many and everyone is spread out for the most part. There seems to Not anywhere close to the hoardes that were there over the summer. Years ago in the fall, the shoreline around the boat launch was always packed with guys in between the two ramps, on the rocks and on the shore across from the ramp. It’s nowhere near that and hasn’t been for years.

The RVTA message board had steady reports back in the day and for awhile Round Valley Fishing had a lot of reports but no more. Seems like the interest in the Fall shoreline Trout fishing has waned.

I don’t remember 2016 off-hand as a great season, but I also don’t remember it being as bad as this one. I had good luck every year until 2020.

Mako, With regard to Rangers Cove, that area is now maybe 10’ deep in the middle.

Mark, Thanks for sharing. I’ve seen your posts in the past and you always seem to hook something!
Let us know how you do!