NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Tiger Musky in the Passaic? I say yup - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Tiger Musky in the Passaic? I say yup

Tossed a line this morning from (6-8am) around 2 bridges area on the pompton river side of Passaic. I caught 2 small pike and what looked to be a 30" tiger musky. The area I was fishing had a very shallow slope into the river and as I was reeling the Tiger in it was shallow enough for it to basically start flopping hard before I got it to shore and it viciously shook the lure out. I could see the fish extremely clearly as it was only 3 feet from and it was in fact a tiger musky. I knew they used to stock Tigers in the passaic/pompton back in the day but stopped at some point.. Evidently they are continually breeding naturally or there is still hold overs swimming about.

Ps. I caught the Pike and Tiger on 7'' 3 part segmented crank (Perch colored).

Last edited by flyboy1; 04-01-2012 at 09:27 PM..
Old 04-01-2012, 09:54 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Tiger Musky in the Passaic? I say yup

Very cool if you are indeed correct. I've heard the rumors too, but always thought the tigers were stocked in the Dundee Lake section of the river. Would have absolutely LOVED to see a picture. Could have always been a really vividly colored pike. We had one the other day that had the craziest coloring of any Passaic River pike I've seen. This was a couple miles downstream of 2 bridges. I say just catch another and tackle that mofo in the water, Crocodile Hunter style.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 04-01-2012, 09:56 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

From my research, the tigers are sterile, so they shouldn't be reproducing.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 04-01-2012, 10:29 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1
Tossed a line this morning from (6-8am) around 2 bridges area on the pompton river side of Passaic. I caught 2 small pike and what looked to be a 30" tiger musky. The area I was fishing had a very shallow slope into the river and as I was reeling the Tiger in it was shallow enough for it to basically start flopping hard before I got it to shore and it viciously shook the lure out. I could see the fish extremely clearly as it was only 3 feet from and it was in fact a tiger musky. I knew they used to stock Tigers in the passaic/pompton back in the day but stopped at some point.. Evidently they are continually breeding naturally or there is still hold overs swimming about.

Ps. I caught the Pike and Tiger on 7'' 3 part segmented crank (Perch colored).
Tiger musky are hybrids of northern pike and true strain muskellunge and since they are hybrids are incapable of reproduction. Tigers musky also grow much faster than true strains and are believed to only have a life span of 10 years. A tiger that was thrown in "back in the day would either be well over 40 inches or dead. Even true strains muskies cannot reproduce in New Jersey as we don't have the type of shoreline habitat for the eggs to hatch. True strain muskies will "pair up" and go through the motions, but there is zero evidence that they have successfully reproduced. I've heard of tigers coming out of the Passaic, but they're either being mis-ID'ed or are coming from another waterbody and are not the result of past or current stockings.

Last edited by catfishonthelake; 04-01-2012 at 10:33 PM..
Old 04-02-2012, 12:28 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishonthelake
Tiger musky are hybrids of northern pike and true strain muskellunge and since they are hybrids are incapable of reproduction. Tigers musky also grow much faster than true strains and are believed to only have a life span of 10 years. A tiger that was thrown in "back in the day would either be well over 40 inches or dead. Even true strains muskies cannot reproduce in New Jersey as we don't have the type of shoreline habitat for the eggs to hatch. True strain muskies will "pair up" and go through the motions, but there is zero evidence that they have successfully reproduced. I've heard of tigers coming out of the Passaic, but they're either being mis-ID'ed or are coming from another waterbody and are not the result of past or current stockings.
I do realize that Tigers a hybrids and with almost all hybrid fish they are hatched sterile. But the keyword is "almost". I have read on a lot of fishing sites and fish/wildlife sites that it is very possible for hybrids to be hatched with full breeding potential. As far as the Passaic goes I read that the last stockings of tigers occurred in 2006 (dont know what areas or how many). Also, I have also read that Pikes are stunted in the Passaic for some reason so they wont grow as big as their true potential in the ideal habitat.

It was a tiger, I have caught a tiger before in Little Swartswood lake.

Im trying to google more info on this....
Old 04-02-2012, 06:24 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1
I do realize that Tigers a hybrids and with almost all hybrid fish they are hatched sterile. But the keyword is "almost". I have read on a lot of fishing sites and fish/wildlife sites that it is very possible for hybrids to be hatched with full breeding potential. As far as the Passaic goes I read that the last stockings of tigers occurred in 2006 (dont know what areas or how many). Also, I have also read that Pikes are stunted in the Passaic for some reason so they wont grow as big as their true potential in the ideal habitat.

It was a tiger, I have caught a tiger before in Little Swartswood lake.

Im trying to google more info on this....

Thanks for the report and info........more research is needed.........but then who need an excuse to go fishing? Good luck in you quest. "The truth is out there"
Old 04-02-2012, 09:25 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

This conversation sounds like the one in Jurassic Park lol.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:39 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Is it possible that pike and true-strain muskies are cross-breeding in the wild? Not on any large scale maybe, but enough to produce a handful of offspring?
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 04-02-2012, 11:00 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

nature finds a way!
Old 04-02-2012, 11:01 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard Almighty
Is it possible that pike and true-strain muskies are cross-breeding in the wild? Not on any large scale maybe, but enough to produce a handful of offspring?
are there any muskies in the passaic river's drainage area?