NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Jigs for Tiles? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 01-08-2015, 07:18 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Jigs for Tiles?

Hi folks.
I love jigging for cod, pollack, haddock, fluke etc.
The idea of jigging for tiles seems intriguing. As hard as it is to imagine bait/bottom fishing in 1000', I can't begin imagine jigging in it.
What drift characteristics would make jigging more productive than soaking / dragging just bait? For other ground fish (e.g. cod), a faster drift is better suited for jigging. No current and sitting dead in the water jigging also allows one to cover more ground and possibly trigger inactive fish to reaction strike.
For tiles, I would think the constant concern would be scoping out too quickly and needed to crank up 1/4 mile of line to reset. What conditions would indicate jigging over simply baiting?
Also, I asked a question about which jigs to buy / bring for tiles. I was encouraged to look at Reel Seat's site. They have A LOT of styles and weights for tiles. In the past I've generally been guilty of buying and lugging way too many jigs for cod etc. I'd like to stay more streamlined for tiles. Can you guys please share what jigs are the essential and most consistent tile jig styles and necessary weights? Do traditional New England cod jigs work (e.g., Vike / Slovkrogen / LAV jigs)? How about plain old hammered diamonds? How important is color in water that deep? In cod jigging we often add a teaser above the jig on a dropper, is that done for tiles? Any other considerations or things I should know for tile jigging?
Thanks!
JD
Old 01-29-2015, 12:04 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Jigs for Tiles?

Hey JD sorry I didn't post this sooner. Here are a few that have produced for me.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks so much Garone. It's greatly appreciated. I recognize the hammered diamond & the longer ones. I've never seen that thing that looks like a pained rock, jig head? Ever use those monstrously large buck tails? I notice different colors. Do diff species like diff styles & colors or do they prefer certain styles and colors on different days? Is it based upon conditions & or primary forage?
Anyone ever have success on more traditional New England / Norwiegion / Viking cod jigs?
Thanks!
JD
Old 01-29-2015, 09:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdbike View Post
Thanks so much Garone. It's greatly appreciated. I recognize the hammered diamond & the longer ones. I've never seen that thing that looks like a pained rock, jig head? Ever use those monstrously large buck tails? I notice different colors. Do diff species like diff styles & colors or do they prefer certain styles and colors on different days? Is it based upon conditions & or primary forage?
Anyone ever have success on more traditional New England / Norwiegion / Viking cod jigs?

Thanks!
JD
I have tried the big Bucktails a couple times but never had much luck, not to say they don't. The Norwegian jigs work, Lav Jigs, and the like work too. The jig that looks like a painted rock is similar to a lucanus jig, just a different head sale and much heavier.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:25 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Ok thanks again!
JD
Old 01-31-2015, 06:39 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garone Custom Rods View Post
I have tried the big Bucktails a couple times but never had much luck, not to say they don't. The Norwegian jigs work, Lav Jigs, and the like work too. The jig that looks like a painted rock is similar to a lucanus jig, just a different head sale and much heavier.
Would that be called an "Octo-jig"? I know Lucanas are pretty expensive and that their are apparently other manufacturers that make similar to fill the same niche.
I also noticed that you have no treble hooks just single assist, some on top some on bottom. Any reasoning for this & the differences (top or bottom)?Ever use trebles on bottom?
Do you also bait those assist hooks & put a light up above the jig?
Thanks!
JD
Old 02-01-2015, 10:40 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdbike View Post
Would that be called an "Octo-jig"? I know Lucanas are pretty expensive and that their are apparently other manufacturers that make similar to fill the same niche.
I also noticed that you have no treble hooks just single assist, some on top some on bottom. Any reasoning for this & the differences (top or bottom)?Ever use trebles on bottom?
Do you also bait those assist hooks & put a light up above the jig?

Thanks!
JD

The Lucanus style jig is a Jigging Master Dancing Jig. I use the 300 and 350g for tiles with a single assist hook tipped with short squid strips.

I have used trebles on the bottom of jigs but switched to assist style hooks for 2 reasons. First they foul less and second because they float over the jig longer than a treble hook would when the jig is resting on the bottom for a second. When YoYo style jigging for tiles I have found the they usually hit the jig in that second the jig is on the bottom, where are cod usually hit the jig when it is falling. I think this gives the fish more hook to bite and I have had a better hookup ratio.

Also I have caught on a bare jig, but I almost always tip with small squid strips, head or some thin blue line tile strips.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks again Garnoe! Very helpful info for sure, especially about how they bite.

I have noticed in most pics I see strips on jigs.

When you say yo yo jigging would that be the same as what we called "bottom pounding" for cod as oppossed to what we called "squidding"?

One more question please. Between the jigging master, the hammered diamonds and the other long painted jigs, do you choose different jig styles & or colors for different target species, conditions & or primary forage. Meaning do they get selective or is it simply about weight & what you have that will reach and work the bottom based upon depth & drift?

Thanks again for any and all help. This is info one can only get by people with experience sharing. I've yet to see a book about tile fishing, especially jigging for them. I need to know what rigs and jigs to buy along with how and when to use what.
Take care!
JD
Old 02-01-2015, 03:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Yep YoYo is the same as bottom pounding for cod, haddock, hake and pollock. For the dancing jig I have always done best squidding. Tiles will hit jigs squidded off the bottom but always drop back all the way to the bottom. I usually do 10-20 cranks depending on the angle of the line. I have had a 25# fish eat the jig 50'+ off the bottom when I gave up and was reeling in to start another drift.

As far as colors are concerned I haven't noticed much of a difference. For tiles I prefer shiney or glow jigs. Lav jigs also work well even though they are dull. I always put glow skirts on my tile jigs.

I dont think tiles are as picky as cod when it comes to forrage, they are more opportunistic. I know for cod sometimes slim jigs far outperform fatter ones when they are eating sandeels and fatter larger jigs work better when they are eating herring.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:49 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks yet again brother. You've pro voided an absolute wealth of knowledge.

I would have never thought of squidding in water this deep for tiles. I always pictured tiles pegged to the bottom since they live in holes.

As for the "Dancing" Lucanas style jig, I would have guessed that would have been one jig to would fish mostly ON the bottom and the longer painted jigs and hammered diamonds would be the ones to squid. Apparently I would have guessed wrong.

Do you use any type of light, light stick or flasher on or above you jigs or bait rigs?

May I assume when the drift is less than Ideal (i.e. too fast or too slow) is when most people switch to just soaking bait?

Hopefully we wind up on the same tile trip sometime this summer, I owe you a meal & or a few beverages!

Peace!
JD