NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Optimax help - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 05-11-2013, 03:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Optimax help

I have twin 135 HP Optis on my 25 CC Ranger. Last year I had water in the fuel that just screwed up everything. After a month trying to fix it myself I had the boat hauled to D&R Boats in Green Brook. I had them do the repair that included pumping out the tank, changing out the high and low pressure fuel pumps changing all the filters and the winterizing and storing the boat for the season. $3800.00 bill. When I tried to use the boat yesterday all the problems are still there even thou they claimed that it pass all Dyno tests. The engine start and idle fine. As soon as they get a load they buck and stall. I get to 1800 rpm and then dead. No warning lights or anything. Any suggestions would be appreciated .
Old 05-11-2013, 06:23 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Optimax help

I feel your pain! I have the same engines on my 23' whaler... haven't had the problems your having, but they seem to be finicky to diagnose and alot of techs seem to have problems servicing them... and the price for parts are out of sight... told the rep that I'll be buying susukis, or yamahas as soon as possible.

Good Luck

Capt. Pat
Old 05-11-2013, 07:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

What year are the opti's. I've read online and experienced my own problems with these engines. Our boat had 1999 engines and the previous owner had good amount of hours on them without any issues until one day and problems just started. Had a really good merc guy come down and look at them and he advised us not to sink anymore $$$$$ into them. They seem to have a lot of problems with these engines in the late 90s.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:12 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

They are 2000s purchased new in 04. I have just over 300 hours on them. They ran great until the water intrusion. Both fuel rails were replaced three years ago under warranty. I am hauling the boat this week with the hope the computers will show something.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:46 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Good luck , hope everything works out for you.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:06 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I had a 1999 with fuel issues, paid two mechanics and still had issues.

Two things from my experience, the fuel lines need to all be replaced. We all know about ethanol. Seems like even the little lines will eventually give up small parts that will clog or semi clog injectors. Have you replaced every line from the tank through the entire system?

I was also getting a vapor lock when run hot and then turned off for while. I could never get that entirely resolved (but found ways to deal with it)

BTW, I am done with 2 stroke efi motors. Too finicky
Old 05-19-2013, 11:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I repowered my old boat in 2006 with a new 175 hp opti... Worst engine I ever owned, constant problems from the day it came out of the box. If at all possible, cut your losses and get rid of them.

Last edited by irishc; 05-20-2013 at 12:02 AM..
Old 05-20-2013, 08:57 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Blackfoot marine in atlantic highlands. By far the best mercury mechanic around.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:08 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The best around for Mercury O/B's and has been for YEARS is Anglers in Sea Sea Bright.

I don't know about the newer guys. Could be good too?

Also your repowering guy may not be all he was cracked up to be. It takes some tweaking to truly set up an OB out of a crate.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 05-25-2013, 08:31 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for all the suggestions. The repairs have been done and it goes back the it's slip in Leonardo Monday.