NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

There's a 1st time for everything - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-13-2022, 10:25 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default There's a 1st time for everything

45 years of hard trout fishing (bait, lures, flies) never did I try to or accidently catch one of these mutants until now. Pulled the trick in a small brook in the woods, it must have washed down from a kids derby on opening day.

Otherwise I hit a handful of standard issue rainbows. Good night to be out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Golden trout 4-11-22.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	156495  

Slingin' Cane

Purveyor of the dark art of the fly rod
Old 04-13-2022, 10:38 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: There's a 1st time for everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drossi View Post
45 years of hard trout fishing (bait, lures, flies) never did I try to or accidently catch one of these mutants until now. Pulled the trick in a small brook in the woods, it must have washed down from a kids derby on opening day.

Otherwise I hit a handful of standard issue rainbows. Good night to be out.
that's actually a really nice looking one almost looks like it's natural. usually they look like they got punted into a vat of gold dye.
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 04-13-2022, 11:13 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Way back when, NJDF&W stocked them:

One such occasion in-season, the stocking of the north Jersey urban park ponds took place during public school Easter break. Apparently word got out to the local kids. There was at least 20-30 of them, all armed with fishing rods ready to assault the newly stocked trout. There were a few adults there, I don't know if they were park personnel or parents, it didn't matter. I threw in the first few net fulls without incident, however in dipping the third net full from the tank I managed to get several of the "golden rainbows". As I released the net full of fish into the pond one of the kids spotted them and yelled "goldens !". With that it seemed every kid in range started casting at the fish, the net and me. I felt a tug, my jacket sleeve had gotten hooked. I yelled to to adults, "get these kids back and tell them to quit fishing until I am finished stocking, or else no more trout for your pond today". I had no authority to actually do anything, but I felt I had to do something or else a riot might ensue, with me sustaining numerous hookings. The adults got the kids under control and the rest of the day went without incident.
Old 04-13-2022, 11:31 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Way back when, NJDF&W stocked them:

One such occasion in-season, the stocking of the north Jersey urban park ponds took place during public school Easter break. Apparently word got out to the local kids. There was at least 20-30 of them, all armed with fishing rods ready to assault the newly stocked trout. There were a few adults there, I don't know if they were park personnel or parents, it didn't matter. I threw in the first few net fulls without incident, however in dipping the third net full from the tank I managed to get several of the "golden rainbows". As I released the net full of fish into the pond one of the kids spotted them and yelled "goldens !". With that it seemed every kid in range started casting at the fish, the net and me. I felt a tug, my jacket sleeve had gotten hooked. I yelled to to adults, "get these kids back and tell them to quit fishing until I am finished stocking, or else no more trout for your pond today". I had no authority to actually do anything, but I felt I had to do something or else a riot might ensue, with me sustaining numerous hookings. The adults got the kids under control and the rest of the day went without incident.
LOL. Usually I avoid them like the plague cause they bring out the worst in anglers. In PA you can tell where they are by the massive crowds. Most often they are in the pools making the onslaught more confined. This one surprised me, I got him in a fast run, didn't even notice him until he came off the bottom to take my bugger.

Slingin' Cane

Purveyor of the dark art of the fly rod
Old 04-13-2022, 06:50 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

That's a beauty ! I remember catching one as a kid . I begged my parents to get it mounted . My Dad was wiser and said catch a giant Brook Trout and he would do it!