NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Ideal Rod Specs - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-02-2019, 06:28 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Question Ideal Rod Specs

I see a lot of stuff around the internet about what specific rod brands are the best for trout fishing but never really see exactly what the best specs are for a trout fishing rod. What do you guys think the ideal length, action, and power do you think is best for fishing primarily northern new jersey waters?(sbr, musconetcong, lamington). ps spinning is the technique.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Ideal Rod Specs

Welcome to the site !!
Old 03-02-2019, 07:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Ideal Rod Specs

6'+ L to ML moderate action to fast depending on what you're throwing. I like mod for plugs and fast when snapping marabou. I use a 6'6".
Old 03-03-2019, 07:45 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

5ft 5 - 6 ft ultra light is always a good set up, do not go bigger or heavier than
6ft light action
Old 03-03-2019, 08:22 AM
Site Sponsor

Small ultralight rod around 5’ is time for the fish this state stocks. If you want to be targeting bigger trout like the bubbas they stocked in the gorge, I’d use a bigger rod like Jeremy suggested. For the money reel wise the pflugeur presidents are like 50-60$ and are pretty popular trout reel in hi for the money. If u want something nicer the diawa tatulas are pretty badass. The sporting life has a great a selection head over there if your looking....
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 03-03-2019, 08:37 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I use a 4’6” UL with a Mitchell Outback 500 and it has served me well for not only trout but all kinds of fish in NJ. It’s my go to trout/creek rod and it’s especially useful in thick cover areas where you don’t have a lot of room to cast. Nothing worse than finding the perfect hole and snagging a tree on your backcast! Welcome to the site!
Old 03-03-2019, 09:51 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I always preferred a 4'6" to 5' UL more on the flexible side than stiff. I fish it with 4lb test. Handled all my bait and lure needs (used to fish 1/4 oz hippies frequently). My current go to set up is an old Fenwick glass with a Mitchell 308. I have a preference for glass UL rods over graphite.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:21 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

a 5'6" light action should cover most situations on NJ rivers. If you want to target big trout, use bigger lures (1/4 oz or higher), or fish on larger rivers, I would go up to a 6' or 6'6" med-light. Brand is not as important as the specs, but you can't go wrong with St. Croix, and Berkley is the best value for the money.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 03-03-2019, 10:22 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Wow... you guys use some tiny stuff. With the longer rod and lite line I can launch small offerings. I feel more control with the longer rod, too, when hooking into larger fish. To each their own!
Old 03-03-2019, 03:11 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

There is no comparison short UL to long UL , shorter rods harder to cast lite offerings , little line control , if you run bait then you can get away with lighter shot , since longer rods keep line off water and obtain more natural, drifts for sure ! Especially this winter when we were plagued with hi water , I used my 7'UL quite a bit to get better drifts .
If your primarily a lure guy and I fish them steelhead drift style , shorter rods useless . Another big trout with longer UL's you will seldom if ever break off a tough fish using lite lines , the shock absorbency of the longer blank will cover any energized runs and allow u to control fish 100% better !
Any steelhead guy knows this .
I prefer all my UL's 6.6 & 7' . Mine are all EDGE UL's and North Fork customs by Gery Loomis . Many choices out there so chose whatever fits you and your style of fishing !