NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

First Post! Black River fishing near Chester - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-02-2021, 09:07 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default First Post! Black River fishing near Chester

Hi guys! I'm relatively new to fishing, I just started during the fall stocking last year.

Today I went spinner fishing at the black river near Chester looking for some stocked trout. I'd never been there before. There were a ton of logs in the river, and a lot of trees overhanging the river, which is not a good environment for a total noob like me... I lost 4 spinners haha

I was using a Daiwa Samurai rod/reel combo that I got from Dick's, 6 lb fluoro, with a barrel swivel on a leader that was about 12-18 inches.

I only caught one fish. It may have been the world's smallest sunny (I couldn't even get the phone camera to focus on it!), but a fish is a fish and this is officially going down as a rare non-skunk day for this noobie!

P.S. Thanks to the guy who talked to me for 10-15 min in the rain on the raritan north branch about a month ago and gave me some pointers! He turned me onto this forum. After lurking for a month I'm pretty sure it was thmyorke1. Thanks!

Old 06-03-2021, 07:21 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: First Post! Black River fishing near Chester

Welcome ! Lose all the hardware and buy some jigs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20264636_648719852004933_8665280707504742515_n.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	149184  
Old 06-03-2021, 08:04 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: First Post! Black River fishing near Chester

Hi Pode, yea that was me lol! welcome
I have never fished up by that park before on the black river but have once just a bit downstream. You could try there, like below the pond. Ive caught a few there but I was not fan of the trail as it was hardly parallel/connected to the river. Big steep slope at one point. The inline spinner tho is good choice with the pocket water there.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:42 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pode View Post
Hi guys! I'm relatively new to fishing, I just started during the fall stocking last year.

Today I went spinner fishing at the black river near Chester looking for some stocked trout. I'd never been there before. There were a ton of logs in the river, and a lot of trees overhanging the river, which is not a good environment for a total noob like me... I lost 4 spinners haha

I was using a Daiwa Samurai rod/reel combo that I got from Dick's, 6 lb fluoro, with a barrel swivel on a leader that was about 12-18 inches.

I only caught one fish. It may have been the world's smallest sunny (I couldn't even get the phone camera to focus on it!), but a fish is a fish and this is officially going down as a rare non-skunk day for this noobie!

P.S. Thanks to the guy who talked to me for 10-15 min in the rain on the raritan north branch about a month ago and gave me some pointers! He turned me onto this forum. After lurking for a month I'm pretty sure it was thmyorke1. Thanks!

we call him 'Ralph' around these parts
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 06-03-2021, 12:18 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisper4694 View Post
we call him 'Ralph' around these parts
I survived Hopatcong last night, WITHOUT any dramamine
Old 06-03-2021, 01:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
I survived Hopatcong last night, WITHOUT any dramamine
next step, no ginger!
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 06-04-2021, 08:35 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

In almost every case, trout in NJ are found near or where they are put. They are stocked in Hackleberry State Park and below the Cider Mill on 24. Downsize your spinners in the skinny water as the water levels drop or use small jigs with twister tails or trout magnets if you prefer not to use bait. Fish where they are and not where they should be just because the water looks fishy. The difference would be if you know of any wild trout steams. Your chances of catching trout in a NJ stream are better if you look for the stocking posters on the more popular waters. Go where they were put.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:10 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
Hi Pode, yea that was me lol! welcome
I have never fished up by that park before on the black river but have once just a bit downstream. You could try there, like below the pond. Ive caught a few there but I was not fan of the trail as it was hardly parallel/connected to the river. Big steep slope at one point. The inline spinner tho is good choice with the pocket water there.
Thanks for the tip! Yeah, the trail itself was nice for hiking but it was tough to get down to the river.

Also Billfish, that seems like good advice. Are trout not stocked up there by the mill? It's listed as an access point on the trout-stocked waters page, and has the trout stocking signs there too. The thing is there's a spillway behind the mill (through the creepy tunnel) that doesn't seem to have an easy way to access it, so it's possible all the fish just hang out under the mill or up under the spillway? Anyway, I'll definitely try the spot down by Hacklebarney State Park!
Old 06-05-2021, 10:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Drive a little farther on Rt.24 into Long Valley where you will pick up the South Branch of the Raritan. There is some fishing in the Long Valley area. Follow the river, keeping it on your right through Middle Valley. Continue along the road to where the river crosses UNDER the road and make a quick left. Cross the river again and follow the road into Califon. There is fishing all along the way.

The SBR is not much farther from where you were fishing near Chester.

If you follow Rt. 24 into Long Valley to the traffic light, turn right and drive toward Hackettstown where you will find the Musconetcong River. Follow the stream either upstream or downstream from there. Again, as a newbie........look for the trout posters for an idea about where to fish. The rest is up to you.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:26 PM
Site Sponsor

My favorite place to trout fish in this state! The stretch in hacklebarney is great if you don’t mind some hiking. Good luck and welcome
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423