NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Rod recomendations - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 01-26-2014, 12:03 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Rod recomendations

If your looking at spending that kind of money.... look into a light popping rod. I use a 125 gram popping rod for the surf, bass, blues and it also doubles as my I shore tuna rod too. Your not gonna beat the power, action it. Will throw 2-8 ozs with 2-6 ozs being the sweet spot.

It's a 1pc / 2pc. Design. Easy to travel with with a 30 butt section and rest of it is the top Section. 7'6" overall length.

Too many guys hear popping rods and think tuna. This 125 gram model is ideal for 90% of NJ fishing. Lifetime Warranty on it too. You can get more info online. Or stop to see it in our shop. We have an 80 gram coming out this year too. As well as an 8'6" model.

Just a suggestion. Teresa is a nice rod but this blank offers much more in the way of variety. It puts my distance casting surf rods to shame that I have used for years.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:27 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Dave that is a sweet reel. For what you want to do with it I have several models that will work great and can be customized to suit your style of fishing perfectly. If you have any questions please feel free to give me a call or shoot me over an email.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Dave, a top-end reel like that doesn't deserve to belong on just any rod.

I have had Mike Garone build my fishing buddies and I many rods in the last few years for several very different fisheries from inshore to offshore and they have been hands down the nicest rods we've used. Whatever your budget, Mike will work with you and make sure you receive something that is uniquely built to your personal preference, style, and intended use. When you go the custom route you shouldn't be limited to simply choosing from "x, y or z" when it comes to blanks, components, and decorative work. Mike will provide something that is truly one-of-a-kind, built to your demands, that will perform likewise.

Additionally, not only does Mike put top-tier craftsmanship into his work but he is also an avid fisherman (something not every builder is, believe it or not), so he understands what it means when demanding fisherman are looking for something specific. If you have any questions, or are unsure how you want to exactly go about your build, Mike will help clear up any confusion regarding the pro's and con's of every choice you make. Not to mention, when you compare Garone's prices to a factory equivalent, you often find that he is often cheaper or, if not, right in the ballpark. It's hard to go wrong with a Garone custom rod and I highly recommend him to anyone in the market for their next rod.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Hoping to get the reel in my hands by this weekend.
A custom rod is what I am going to do.
I will be in touch with both Kevin and Mike to see what better suits me and I will go from there.
Thanks to all.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:52 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

One peice of advise that has been passed down to me that i value most...b4 you get tje custom rod know what you want and i don't mean by the person wrapping it...many of the old timers and buddy's that been there done that have always talked me down from a custom rod for now not b.c they don't wan't me to have one but.to Experience different characteristics that one rod may possess over another while one may have the stiffness one might have a lighter whipping backbone to shoot those needles out far my only suggestion would to be check out some factory rods then go from there i personally fell in love with a slingshot that was 1oft 6 however it cracked this fall on the roof racks after being struck by a rock
Old 01-28-2014, 10:04 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaty View Post
One peice of advise that has been passed down to me that i value most...b4 you get tje custom rod know what you want and i don't mean by the person wrapping it...many of the old timers and buddy's that been there done that have always talked me down from a custom rod for now not b.c they don't wan't me to have one but.to Experience different characteristics that one rod may possess over another while one may have the stiffness one might have a lighter whipping backbone to shoot those needles out far my only suggestion would to be check out some factory rods then go from there i personally fell in love with a slingshot that was 1oft 6 however it cracked this fall on the roof racks after being struck by a rock
For the record, for every rod I have ever had built, from Kevin Bogan to Mike Garone to Tony at Jersey Coast, before they began we had extensive discussions and they had me try multiple blanks to try to narrow down what exactly I wanted to feel and the use of the rod I wanted.....In my humble opinion, it is not close for value........custom vs. mass produced.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:36 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have mike Garone bulid all of my rod and they are the best rod that i have used. He is in the process of building me another one.