NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Passaic River Fishing - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-15-2017, 11:01 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Passaic River Fishing

What's up everyone, hope the beginning of the season is going well!

It's been a while since I've fished Freshwater. I've been recently sticking to Saltwater for Tuna, Fluke, Shark and Stripers but nothing draws me in to Freshwater again like a good 20+lb carp on 8-lb test.

Behind Memorial Pool in Fair Lawn used to be extremely eventful, but through the past couple years, I've noticed activity has dropped, as well as minimal activity near Marcal Bridge in Elmwood Park.

That's why I'm looking for any and everywhere for guidance. Those two-hour long fights on an Ultralight are much more exciting sometimes than a triple digit Thresher on a St Croix Legend.

Last edited by AntS; 06-16-2017 at 04:10 PM..
Old 06-15-2017, 11:33 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Passaic River Fishing

Carp fishing is awesome. I think they are without a doubt one of the most fun freshwater fish to catch!
That said the biggest I've found was a 10lb+ in Hackensack river on a nightcrawler (I usually fish with corn.) My goal is to some day catch a 30lb one somewhere in NJ.

I doubt i can help you with exact location considering i haven't found carp that big yet, but general areas that will have big ones should be Spruce Run Reservoir, Monksville Res, Greenwood Lake, Hackensack River, Delaware River, Raritan River, Millstone river, Passaic River tidal section or above the Dundee Dam.
Not sure if you're looking for areas only on Passaic river.
Show us some carp when you catch them!
Old 06-15-2017, 11:55 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I was just fishing the Passaic River last week and saw lots of very large carp on the upstream side of the Passaic Ave. Bridge in Short Hills/Chatham (close to Canoe Brook Res. #1). You can park right next to bridge on the side of the road. I spoke with another angler there and he said he bowfishes for carp in that spot.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:10 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Spent more then a few of days of my misguided youth fishing for carp and have to agree, one of best fighting and fun fish to target....

Welcome to the site and I know there are more then a few Carp guys here who do very well so hopefully they can help you.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 06-15-2017, 12:21 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Appreciate the insight guys. It's been a while but I've caught a few 20-30lbers over the course of a few years. Unfortunately, it looks like the Fair Lawn/EP/Hawthorne areas have diminished. I'll definitely try upriver though!
Old 06-15-2017, 12:47 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logs22 View Post
I was just fishing the Passaic River last week and saw lots of very large carp on the upstream side of the Passaic Ave. Bridge in Short Hills/Chatham (close to Canoe Brook Res. #1). You can park right next to bridge on the side of the road. I spoke with another angler there and he said he bowfishes for carp in that spot.
If I can ask, what time of the day did you spot them? I was thinking about going today but mid-day fishing sucks no matter where you go.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:30 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

A few years ago we held our NJF Pike-a-thon at the Elmwood Park section of the river. Horrible idea, considering the Carp were spawning at that time. Throughout the day (which nobody caught ANYTHING), hundreds of Carp could be seen in small groups splashing at the surface, EVERYWHERE. So no, the population has definitely not taken a hit there. Put the time in and you will get them!

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 06-15-2017, 02:50 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk City View Post
A few years ago we held our NJF Pike-a-thon at the Elmwood Park section of the river. Horrible idea, considering the Carp were spawning at that time. Throughout the day (which nobody caught ANYTHING), hundreds of Carp could be seen in small groups splashing at the surface, EVERYWHERE. So no, the population has definitely not taken a hit there. Put the time in and you will get them!
Thanks for the tip. I used to put a kayak in over there and fish for bass behind the houses closer to Fair Lawn. Bass were everywhere. At least 200 in 3-4 hours on white curly tails.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:24 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I see some monsters in the Hackensack River in the River Edge/New Milford areas. The river is tidal but maybe try pre-baiting some of the slow current areas for those pigs.

Gustard Wood
Tidewater 216
Old 06-15-2017, 04:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntS View Post
If I can ask, what time of the day did you spot them? I was thinking about going today but mid-day fishing sucks no matter where you go.

It was actually mid-afternoon when I was fishing. As usual the river was brown and muddy but there was a tree down across the river that I walked out on and from that vantage point I saw a number of very large carp circling in the pool you see upstream from the bridge. Good luck!