NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Sail boat - right of way question - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 08-17-2014, 07:39 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Sail boat - right of way question

If you are driftin OFF channel, and a sail boat approaches from Say Staten Island, possibly named Shelsta with a number of 103 in the sail, approaches and is on colison course to tbone - all on board saluting me with their beers, if it were not for the obsenities I yelled out as they approached I would be buying a new boat today......

Who needed to re-course, boat under drift or boat under sail (not power)?

Please help, had I known the answer I would have taken my chances and own his boat, his house and my new boat.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:02 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Sail boat - right of way question

Good morning, HydraSportsPT. As far as the rules of the road go, a sailboat under sail has the right of way over a vesel under power. That means if you are under way, you should alter your course. If you are anchored, they should steer around you. If the sailboat is using power, even if their sail is up, they are a power vessel, just like you, and should follow the same rules of the road as you do.
Now, in your description of the event, these BLOWBOATERS were rude to you, and not being prudent sailors, but acting like sailors on shore leave. There is one person that is in charge of that vessel, and I would be happy to drift near him when the Coasties are having their way with him. When I have rude boaters flying through the no wake zone, or people like that sailboater, I get on Channel 16, and speak clearly to call out the bad boater by boat name, and tell them that they are speeding in a no wake zone, they have thrown my passengers or myself to the deck, and they are responsible for their own wake. If I see Coasties/police nearby, I have also blown my air horn 5 times ( signalling danger) and they come right to you. They have already heard your message on Ch16. Tell them what happened, and enjoy the benefits of your hard earned tax dollars at work. Don't let bad boaters ruin your day......Papa
Old 08-17-2014, 08:08 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Had you been under power, you would have been the give way boat. Since you were not the sail boat was.

Power boats give-way to Sailboats

Are you operating a Sailboat (under sail) or a Power boat? Is the other boat a Sailboat (under sail) or a Power boat? Power boats, as a general rule, must give way to sailboats.

If you are a power boat and the other boat is a sailboat under sail, you must give way. Alternatively, if you are a Sailboat under sail and the other boat is a power boat, then you are the stand-on boat.

There are however, a few exceptions:

vessels not in command (i.e. not under control);
where it is too difficult for a large power boat to navigate in a small channel;
where the powered vessel, due to its size, has difficulty in navigating at the best of time;
vessels engaged in fishing.

As a general principle, stay well clear of large powered vessels; they have difficulty in maneuvering, they may not see you and you could capsize in the wash.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 08-17-2014, 10:36 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks guys- i did announce their presence and ignorane but not on 16.

I was drifting for fluke 200 yards away from reach channel- no other boats for miles. By myself. I have a hydra sports with 200 hp, somyes i am the power.

He was going from kills to ah, it was bouey 14...... He is just an idiot. Did not see me till i yelled and it was only a 30 ft sail boat. His idiot friend along the rail with his feet hanging over the side - well it never dawned on him that his drunk captain should not own a boat.

Guess it was my stand off- thats a bull s. h. I. T rule. I get in in a channell or tight narrow river or space.....not in the wide open.

Thats why i didnt let him t bone me- i figured i should have moved.....i didnt and wouldnt the next time. To,many a holes wasg you to and you look aroundnbeing the only boat in miles they steer 20 ft off your port.....people just dont think.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:53 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

A better understanding of The General Prudential Rule is what every boater should know and interprit. Unlike a car accident, the Coast Guard will use this in determining liability. Get out of the way of idiots andsave yourself a lot of aggravation.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

If you are drifting you are considered underway, by law you are in the wrong by not yielding to the sailboat but there is a common sense also.i was on a party boat yesterday ran by quote a professional capt he must have cut off 10 different boats.today you have to be on the defense all the time
Old 08-17-2014, 02:25 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

If you are drifting, this is called under way with no way on. Same as if your motor was running, same rules.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks - my instinct told memit was my duty to pulls my lines in, start my engine and avoid him.....my itialian told me to curse him out.

I go my answers- thank you.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:43 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Give this man a CEE GAR.

Underway means not anchored, not tied to dock, and not aground... aka free to move.

Yes the sailboat undersail is the "stand on" vessel. You are the give way vessel. UNLESS you fit the description of a "vessel not under command" (e.g. anchored, aground, etc.). OR THE VESSEL IS OVER TAKING YOU.

Sailboat loses its privlege if it is overtaking a power vessel, and become gives way vessel.

OR..... Should have hit 5 shorts on your horn and launched a distress flare into his sail. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako333 View Post
If you are drifting you are considered underway, by law you are in the wrong by not yielding to the sailboat but there is a common sense also.i was on a party boat yesterday ran by quote a professional capt he must have cut off 10 different boats.today you have to be on the defense all the time
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 08-18-2014, 09:40 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Maybe the sailor was looking to get a new boat!