NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

mercury 225 update - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 08-04-2014, 07:39 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default mercury 225 update

Yestarday morning , we worked on the merc again. We took the vst off cleaned that again , the intake and injectors,2 injectors were not working so we cleaned the terminal to those and switch some around to different cylinders. They are working now ! On the vst oil check valve was clogged we cleaned that. Now all cylinder are firing properly. We decided to take for test run and see if the work we did solved it all ...dipped her in and took off after about 15 seconds and 4500 rpm she stalled and died. Started right back up and idled fine ...ran another 10 seconds at 4500 and she died .....started right back up .....then we primed the ball went another 20 seconds and died ....primed up went to 4500 and manual pumped ball as we were going .....no stall till we stopped pumping manually. Opened the fuel cap and tried again. Went about 15 sec and died ....ellimanated the vented problem ....then we decided to check the check valve at the pick up ...there was a piece of solder from the tank lodged in the elbow , took it out and tried again same issue 15-20 sec and died .....
todays goal after work is to completely remove pick up and inspect....take the pulse pump off and inspect (even though i just rebuilt it ) and primer ball inspect ...after we determine which is the cause i should be back to normal.

Quest. 1 .
How can i prevent anything in the tank from being picked up ? Some may say drain tank but if you drain the tank the solder chunks will remain !
And cant just tank the tank out cause you have to cut it out and redo all of the fiber glass

Q.2
Whats the easiest way to tell if the ball it self is bad ?
Old 08-04-2014, 12:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: mercury 225 update

I had the same problem with my twin optis. Your tank must be filled with junk. I finally found someone to properly clean my tank and two years of problems went away. He took out a whole bucket of goo, bottle caps, wire ties and anything else you could think of. The process was, he pressure washed the tank using my fuel. Filtered it and put it back in. All problems solved
Old 08-04-2014, 12:30 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

For the cost of the ball I would just replace it... Have you done the fuel lines already from tank to motor? You don't have those crappy grey lines right? If so replace- the inner walls on them suck with the ethanol gas!
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 08-04-2014, 03:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I opened my fuel sender and the tank really actually looks pretty clean of goo and gunk its just , the metal welds breaking apart ...

The only grey line i have is from seperator to ball ....but when i get the new ball i will be replacing that also .......tonight she should be all good hopefully , cant test run till sat or sun
Old 08-04-2014, 03:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Flygaff i dont really have the money to have some one do that right at this moment , got a bs job paying shit while looking for better .....any other suggestions lol
Old 08-04-2014, 08:08 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Ok, i have 2 pick up lines both being 16 inches ,one is for use and the other is if i decide to go with duel motors. I took both out an they are clear no check valve the one that was not in use had a screen and the one that was in use did not , i switched them so the metal pieces would not get sucked up. Then i had 5 ft of grey line from seperator to primer ball replaced that with regular fuel line , looked down the grey line and plastic collapsed ...also i used the pick up holding my thumb on the end to pick up some fuel and put in a clear cup they go to bottom of tank and towards the back of the tank so with boat on trailer and tilted up what ever could be in there would get picked up .. nothing in the tank no water , no sludge , nothing the gas was very very clean and clear and was light light yellow ! .so hopefully the kinks are no out and i should run like a champ again ....

Last edited by Bass_Appeal; 08-04-2014 at 08:12 PM..
Old 08-04-2014, 09:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

http://youtu.be/1OIs4t5My-E

A video of what it was doing

Excplicit language towards the end , please pardon me

Last edited by Bass_Appeal; 08-04-2014 at 10:04 PM..
Old 08-05-2014, 05:35 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Hope this solves it for you Bass.... Probably could have saved yourself a lot of time, money and aggrevation if you'd have just hooked your motor up to a portable tank. It would have a least eliminated the fuel delivery components on your boat if they were the cause.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 08-05-2014, 07:35 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Gerry , i probrably should have , but i also noticed something else was going on electrical ....that happened to be the 2 injectors not firing and the same 2coils not working properly from no fuel in the cylinders ,only filling up with oil ....i replaced 90%of the lines filters ect.. they grey hose was only like a year and a half old ...but i will never use that again !! Sunday hopefully ill be enjoying life again instead of stressin ...
Old 08-05-2014, 05:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Good luck. You've got some tenacity that's for sure! I woulda given up long ago!

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995