NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Decent Day at Green Turtle Pond - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-25-2017, 10:36 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Decent Day at Green Turtle Pond

Haven't been here in a while because the fishing threre hadn't been what it once was. Arrived, as I always seem to, at the worst time of the day to fish, 1:30 in the afternoon. A guy in a kayak was taking out said he caught 6 bass and lost a few more.

We were in the canoe, so the stiff wind was a bit of an issue, blowing us around so I spent a too much time trying to keep the canoe where I wanted to.

Even with that, my girlfriend and I caught four bass in a little under two hours and lost another. Best was about three lbs.

As I was leaving I chatted with two kids who put in about the same time we did and they said they caught 7, along with a four pounder.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:29 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Decent Day at Green Turtle Pond

Nice looking fish!

Have a nice day!
Old 06-26-2017, 11:01 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Nice report! Looks like you had a good time despite the wind. Tight lines!
Old 06-26-2017, 08:52 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I was pleasantly surprised because I gave it up a few years ago because it kind of sucked.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Back at Green Turtle on July 4th and we had an hour to fish before we had to be somewhere. Arrived at three and put the canoe in. I bagged three cookie cutter 1 lb bass on a wacky rigged Senko with a small shaky jig head and my GF was catching nothing.

She is fairly new to fishing so usually I try to give her cranks, topwater and other lures that are easy to work. Cast and retreive, nothing too technical. She's getting nothing.

So now its's about 3:40 and she wants to catch a fish, so I tie on a Texas rig RT Thumper for her with an 1/8 oz bullet weight and give her a quick primer on how to detect a bite on a plastic. Soon she pulls in her Thumper and complains that it is "off the hook". It was obvious that a bass grabbed it and she had no clue. Just not feeling the bite.

So a few minutes later she is screaming "I have something" , but she still doesn't get the concept of hooking the fish, so after a few seconds it falls off. I cast in the same area and pull in a three pounder. I joked that I caught the fish she lost and explained how to hook a bass using T rigged plastics. Now it is almost 4:00. I mention that it's time to leave and she says "We are not leaving until I catch a fish".

Almost on cue, her rod is doubled over. I was trying to tell her how to loosen the drag, because I knew the rod I gave her had only 6 lb test line, but she is too excited to listen. A few minutes later, with a litte coaching, she brings a healthy four pounder next to the boat and I netted it for her. I didn't want to take the chance of trying to lip land it and miss her first big bass.

After releasing it she said "I've always enjoyed the idea of fishing, but catching is much more exciting". I think I have a keeper. I only wish I realized that 40 years ago when we first started dating. But 40 years later and after 30 years apart, she is my best catch.

Last edited by briansnat; 07-05-2017 at 10:00 PM..
Old 07-06-2017, 01:19 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

looks like a good day of bass fishing.

i've never fished there but i've been having trouble bass fishing on some lakes that used to be better, specifically trying to force feed them frog lures and such over pads and weeds haha. I've got a few places on my list to try with the frog. certain places like the back of cranberry just look like amazing frog fishing with the maze of lily pad fields, but the place, and other similar, just don't fish the same as they used to...idk maybe i just keep fishing on bad days
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 07-07-2017, 02:55 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

nice job getting a few. im hoping to get my son there this weekend for a little fishing. maybe he will catch his first bass. that road in is great