NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Party boat tuna tackle question - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 06-09-2017, 09:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Party boat tuna tackle question

Booked my first tuna trip on a NS out of point pleasant for September. Any advice on tackle?

I was leaning towards a Kevin Bogan 7' standup rod but i am lost on the reel.

I have tried to contact the boat with no avail to see if they allow braid on their chunking reels, which, if the case, i would go with an Avet EX30 spooled with braid along with a mono topshot if you experienced guys think that would work

Any other advice/suggestions from you guys?
thanks
Old 06-09-2017, 10:26 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: Party boat tuna tackle question

The PB I tuna fish on will allow braid on your chunking rod as long as you have at least 300 yards of mono topshot. I recommend a Shimano TLD50II. They hold enough line if the fish are deep and/ot if they're big
Old 06-09-2017, 10:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I think you're on the right track...Kevin will steer you in the right direction. Personally, I think 7' is the perfect length for a party boat chunking rod. On a party boat, tuna often make runs under the boat and the length of a 7' rod gives you the ability to "follow" the fish under to help to keep your line off the keel and away from the screws.
That Avet reel will actually hold just enough 60lb mono for tuna chunking, approx 270yd. However, to be safe, you'd probably want to go with 100-150yd of 65lb braid backing with 180-200yd of 60lb mono on top (gives you a little more buffer). Nowadays, party boats have come to accept braid, AS BACKING ONLY, on chunking outfits.
Good boats and crews will often "loan" you a jigging outfit to try if you'd like to give jigging a shot. Jigging is more physical and tiring so, you may want to start with chunking but, the experience is definitely worth trying if you get a chance.
Just be cautious...party boat canyon tuna fishing can be VERY addicting!

Shorts
Old 06-09-2017, 11:37 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Smile Re: Party boat tuna tackle question

6 1/2 -7 foot. Tuna rod , Penn 50t with 80 or 60 lb mono. I have a 4outfits from 50-80 lb Usually the lighter one is for jigging heavier for chunking. I have caught 100's on a 6/0 Penn but the international 2 speed makes it much more enjoyable. It is addicting and 30/40 percent of tuna trips get canceled for weather. Good luck!😀😀
Old 06-10-2017, 11:06 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Maybe a dumb question, but why would you use braid as a backing, or under a 200 yard topshot of mono? Don't you lose all the benefit of the braid(low stretch, etc.)? Plus, it seems like a pretty expensive backing material, since you're probably not going to have 200 yards of line out at a time, no?
Old 06-10-2017, 01:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

If you get on a decent party boat tuna chunk bite tangles are inevitable. Braided line and big fast fish are just a really bad combination. As far as I know currently all party boats tuna fishing in NJ have Mono only or (200+ yard top shot rules). If you have two fish hooked one with mono and one with braid and the lines touch, the mono fish will be sawed off the vast majority of the time. It is also incredibly dangerous for the mates attempting to untangling the crossed lines. Especially as a new angler to this type of fishing you could / will have the ability to great negatively affect the trip for those fishing around you.

The reason that some people choose to have braided line backing is to increase their line capacity in the event of a large big eye, swordfish, or allison tuna it is amazing how fast 300 yards of line can melt off of your reel. Many prefer to have the ability to fish a smaller lighter reel (30 class) while still having 400+ yards of 80 lb line.

I also think mono has a distinct advantage for chunking tuna. The stretch in the line is a great advantage with the violent head shakes as well as keeping tension on the line as through the belly on the line as fish quickly changes direction or charges the boat.

Your first few tuna trips will be learning experiences. Spool up with 80 pound mono (leaves you a larger margin for error with drag settings and abrasion resistances with tangles and other lines) and enjoy your trip.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

My reel for 80# last year and now for 60# is the Avet EXW 30 2 speed on a custom "acid wrap" 6'6" carbon fiber rod. I left the 200yd 80# braid & loaded 200 yds of 60# mono as the top shot. I think I had 165 yds 80# mono loaded last year. I only got into the braid once in 4-5 years but biggest fish were only 90-100# YFT's. Just remember to lighten up on the leaders during the day, all the way down to 40# fluorocarbon leaders & don't forget to lighten up on the drag!!! As you gain more experience and confidence you can fish lighter outfits and line. On a good tuna boat, the mates and fellow anglers should work with you giving pointers and general help. Don't be afraid to ask and pay attention to what the "regulars" are doing...(after 20+ years, I'm still picking up tips).
What's been said above by others is good stuff...I'll re-spool mono once or twice during the tuna season if it's been well used(stretched) with tuna. Check your line for nicks, scrapes & other abrasions as you reel in on the retrieve and after a tuna has gone under the boat, line may have scraped the chine, transom or running gear. More than one tuna has been lost to that-unfortunately,I know from personal experience!!!
At any rate have a good trip and we'll be waiting for your report---tight lines...
John M. missed and always remembered
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead (Jimmy Buffett)
Old 06-10-2017, 07:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Dad View Post
Maybe a dumb question, but why would you use braid as a backing, or under a 200 yard topshot of mono? Don't you lose all the benefit of the braid(low stretch, etc.)? Plus, it seems like a pretty expensive backing material, since you're probably not going to have 200 yards of line out at a time, no?
Grateful dad, all my reels have braid backing---good for 7-8 years manufacturers have told me when used as backing...saves on mono re-spooling with the backing & increases reel line capacity...my 2 cents.....

When I mated on a private boat, I tried to get the boss's son to put on braid backing on 3 Penn Int. 80's and 5 Penn Int. 50's but he wouldn't...the bottom half of the mono on all the reels never left the reel but was stripped every year...tried to tell him they were throwing money & good line away, oh well....
John M. missed and always remembered
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead (Jimmy Buffett)
Old 06-10-2017, 09:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Dad View Post
My 80lb reel last year (and this year) is a Avet HXW Raptor 2spd. 100lb Jerry Brown hollowcore with 200 yd of 80lb Momoi Diamond on top. Had a 80lb YFT on that took it out to the braid on three different runs, and that was with 20lbs of scale-tested drag set.

Also, for big fish, you need the stretch to act as a shock absorber for when they decide to run.

And yes, I did get the fish.

"Marie's Dream" 1985 21' Trophy
Homeport: Allamuchy, NJ
Old 06-10-2017, 11:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Ok now I'm stuck between reels, either the avet exw30 or avet hxw30