NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Hook set - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 10-01-2013, 07:22 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Hook set

What do you think offers a better hook set? A straight eye hook or an offset eye hook? Just curious .
Old 10-02-2013, 10:52 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Hook set

If you snell the offset eye hook there is little difference. I see a lot of people just tie the offsets like a normal hook. I feel that it defeats the purpose of the offset eye.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:30 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I agree, if you tie straight on then the straight hook is best, if you make rigs with snells or drooper loops then the offset is best. I dont think either make a difference too much on hook set. Now if you ask the difference between circle and j hooks then you're opening up a can of worms, lol.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:33 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Pedro
If you snell the offset eye hook there is little difference. I see a lot of people just tie the offsets like a normal hook. I feel that it defeats the purpose of the offset eye.
I agree !!!

Only time something like this really matters is when using a needle eye hook for something like shark. The thinner eye allows for a better hook set because it lays between the teeth better. But thats a needle eye. ( regular eyes are all the same in any position )

Otherwise OlPedro is on the money for all around fishing.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:41 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Wanted to add that it does matter with an assist hook style. If your cord is coming out of the eye of a straight eye hook the wrong way, you will miss half the hook sets. You always want the cord coming in front of the eye, same side as the barb. You want to enter from back of hook and come across the front side of eye. If you enter from front side and cross the back, your losing about 60% of the hookset power. This is only for an assist hook though.