NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Pending New World Record Golden Tilefish - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:05 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Exclamation Pending New World Record Golden Tilefish

Wow, the past two days have been crazy. So the rumors and previous posts are true, I caught a pending new world record Golden Tilefish (65.20 lbs)!! I am lucky that I have such great friends because without their decision to wait for me to get out of work I wouldn’t have even been on the boat. They could have overnighted for tuna which was their original plan. Because they didn’t want to hear my whine about missing the trip, they opted for deep drop to allow me to join them. I will never forget that.

So I was invited to go fishing with my friend Jason for tiles. I jump with both feet at any opportunity to fish with him because as they say he’s got “mad skills”. Unfortunately I don’t get out with him often enough. The All Star Crew consisted of Jason, Dennis (63.5 lb record), Mike Garone (Garone Custom Rods), and me. The crew was up to the task for anything, but who knew that we would have such an amazing tilefish day.

We headed to the canyons for some deep dropping. What a day it was. Let’s just say many big tiles were landed and the smallest Golden was around 8lbs.

The record came up on a Jigging Master PE8 reel filled with 65 solid Jerry Brown braid. Filled up by Basil @ BHP Tackle. The reel was borrowed from my best man Ralph (too many times to count I’ve borrowed that beauty). Thanks Ralphie! The reel is the best I have used for deep drop and I’ve used just about every reel out there.. Hopefully, I’ll be able to get a deal on my own Jigging Master reel now , I sure could use one. Maybe Kil can help?

So here are the details about the bite. So after my buddy Jason had landed a really nice fish, we went back to same area. After a while they guys were all hooked up with good fish and were fighting for a bit. I was starting to whine and wondering if I would get my turn. After a while, instead of being the last one on bottom at the end of the drift I started to reel up. As I got about 10 cranks off the bottom… BAM!! I got lit up like Christmas and the fish was a brute pulling tight drag at a heavy clip! The fish fought hard all the way up, and it felt like forever before it came to the surface. Unlike smaller fish that float up this pig came up slow and was still giving a battle at the boat.

The size of this thing is unbelievable and these tilefish are tough ! One of the other big fish almost got its freedom by getting into its burrow but luckily we got that one out. The head on it is massive and I knew I had a contender when I went to lift the fish.

It was a great crew and I think it was interesting having the record holder Dennis on board to witness this catch. I don’t think he took his eye off me the whole time. Dennis and I know each other for a long time so I’m glad he passed the torch over temporarily. It was a great experience.

It will be a state record for MD if I can make it back down there. Unfortunately they won’t allow it to be weighed out of state to be eligible and I haven’t decided if 4hrs each way is worth the trip.

Tile fishing and deep dropping in general is an addiction and I got my first taste of a big fish 4-5 years ago with a 45lber. I never thought I’d get one this big but I’m starting to think that there are more big ones than I thought previously. I’ll be out there trying for more that’s for sure.

Everything is pending approval but I don’t see why there would be any issues. I am convinced that it will be knocked down by a bigger one eventually anyway, probably by the small group of anglers like myself that are hooked on this style of fishing. Hand cranking the deep baby!

I can’t thank Jason enough for having me onboard and for bringing us to the grounds. His mechanical skills and technological skills makes me comfortable onboard even so many miles offshore. He really knows the deep drop game.

Also thanks to Dennis for showing me everything over the years. I’m glad he got to be a part of it. I’m sure he’s got a voodoo doll that he’s poking right now….Also thanks to Mike for his help and assistance running around the last couple days with the fish and the gear. I have a feeling the next record tile could come on one of his Garone Customs.

Pics will be coming shortly… hang tight for more

angelo.ruvio@gmail.com
Old 08-10-2012, 04:18 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Pending New World Record Golden Tilefish

Awesome catch !!!
Old 08-10-2012, 04:30 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

congrats that is a truly once in a lifetime catch butseriously 8 hours to be a world record holder come on dude turn the key!

Murr722@gmail.com

THE REIGNING, DEFENDING, PUT UP OR SHUT UP
CHAMPION

Put Up or Shut Up IX Prelims winner

If you don't like fish thats "fishy" eat chicken.

"theres a million fine looking women in the world dude,but they dont all buy you st. croixs for your birthday,most of them just yell at ya for fishing to much."

"Murray's Law: The uglier a fish is, the better it tastes." - Lard Almighty

LAB,always in our hearts & ears
Old 08-10-2012, 04:40 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Awesome Fish! And you're right about that Reel, unbelievable!
Old 08-10-2012, 04:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurr711
congrats that is a truly once in a lifetime catch butseriously 8 hours to be a world record holder come on dude turn the key!
Congrats Angelo. Glad I was part of it!

World record isnt the issue, Maryland state record is.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:44 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I'm As Excited for Angelo as I was when I caught Mine!! I have always said that Angelo is my adopted son and with that statement how can one Not Feel As Proud as I do. I Called his Brute a Hammerhead( I'm Known for catching a few of them lately ) at the beginning of his battle but after all his moans and groans, I- we started to believe, he had " The One! " Now Angelo, you have the Bulls Eye on your Back! lol Don't forget, I have Mike's Silver eel in the freezer waiting to be sent down into the Abyss within the next week or two while U R WORKING!! Dennis
Old 08-10-2012, 07:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Nice job....enjoy the title while it lasts.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Angelo, congratulations on your catch. You certainly have put in your time and deserve the record. Can 70lbs be far away?
Old 08-10-2012, 09:49 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Way to go!! Now "You DA Man"!! We're all gunnin' for you now!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Banned

nice job angelo