NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Finding Pike or Bass in the Passaic River - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:06 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Finding Pike or Bass in the Passaic River

i guess im just not in the right area to walk the banks, there is no way to walk the banks around here...high tide eliminates any bank, and low tide is just a muddy mess, most likely will get stuck in the mudd trying to walk through it...i refuse to go to jail and or get fined for tresspassing as well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dominator
Not true about Kayak, Although you can cover more ground easier etc. I have been hammering Pike from the banks all year if you look at my biggest 45" monster was caught from the bank this year (I was just contacted by the NJ Dept of Fish & Game) they want to use it on their website. Biggest pike caught in many years. I have probably caught over 50 pike this year from the banks and besides the monster 45" ...10 to 15 from 34" to 38". You have to put in the work walking the banks ,then you will find your own special spot it takes time keep trying.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Not true about Kayak, Although you can cover more ground easier etc. I have been hammering Pike from the banks all year if you look at my biggest 45" monster was caught from the bank this year (I was just contacted by the NJ Dept of Fish & Game) they want to use it on their website. Biggest pike caught in many years. I have probably caught over 50 pike this year from the banks and besides the monster 45" ...10 to 15 from 34" to 38". You have to put in the work walking the banks ,then you will find your own special spot it takes time keep trying.

I don't think anyone said that you can't get them from shore, and it looks like you are having a great season, but the advantages from a kayak and getting to areas that you can't get to from shore are endless.

With well over 200 so far in the past 4 months, with at least 6 over 40" and many in the high 30's" in 10 different aras of the river, you can't argue that with a kayak there is a great advantage.

Congrats on the NJ Dept. of F&G !!!! I also got an E-mail from them for some pictures.

Danny V
Old 07-25-2012, 01:00 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Finding Pike or Bass in the Passaic River

NJ F+G IS AWESOME. Don't forget that there are PIKE from the beginning of the Passaic River all the way to the end. STACKED, best PIKE fishery in NJ by far!
Old 07-25-2012, 04:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin4fun
i guess im just not in the right area to walk the banks, there is no way to walk the banks around here...high tide eliminates any bank, and low tide is just a muddy mess, most likely will get stuck in the mudd trying to walk through it...i refuse to go to jail and or get fined for tresspassing as well..
I am from Nutley, so I know what area of the river you are talking about. Downstream of the Dundee Dam is tidal and in my opinion, is best fished during the spring and fall Striper run. Look into the river in Fairfield, Wayne, Lincoln Park and Pine Brook.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 07-25-2012, 04:54 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

thanks skunk city..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk City
I am from Nutley, so I know what area of the river you are talking about. Downstream of the Dundee Dam is tidal and in my opinion, is best fished during the spring and fall Striper run. Look into the river in Fairfield, Wayne, Lincoln Park and Pine Brook.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I will be honest, I have caught many pike from the river in the past 6 years, but after reading the reports from msgdan and skunk city i am motivated to get a kayak. My buddy and I are also going to launch my 10 foot bass raider with a trolling motor in a few spots. With how big the river is I know are tons of holes that have not been touched with tons of pike just sitting there. I usually do not name spots on this site, but has anyone had any experience in fishing the river in passaic? That's right the city of passaic. One of my friends went there by boat along route 21 a few years ago and said that he caught a few pike. One of them ranging in the high 30s. It makes sense because I know there is a canal that runs off from the river and thats where he said they were. The only problem is you are paddling into territory where bums live on the side of the river under route 21. My other buddy said he watched a fishing show where the guys were fishing in passaic with white spinner baits hammering pike. They were also saying that "rats" are one of the main food sources since there are so many of them in passaic under route 21. Has anyone seen this? I am dying to see the show. Two people have seen it that i know.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:12 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Ive fished the passaic section several times never seen a lot of pike down there but there in there for sure...got chewed off a few times but in the spring its loaded with striped I usually do well there for larger carp some smallies and the kitty's...if I'm not mistaken the saddle river dumps in somewhere in that area
Old 07-27-2012, 06:20 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have found the guys at Meltzers in Garfield friendly and knowledgable when looking for what to use for the diff species in the river... as far a where to go I think the one guy already said it best... look on the map for what looks under fished and start there.... lots of swampy areas that are usually unaccessible are dry enough to hike into this summer... might take some drivin around and investigating but you will find a good spot
Old 07-27-2012, 07:34 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:

I know that tire!

Last edited by buzzbaiter; 07-27-2012 at 01:45 PM..
Old 07-27-2012, 08:57 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by antgogz
I will be honest, I have caught many pike from the river in the past 6 years, but after reading the reports from msgdan and skunk city i am motivated to get a kayak. My buddy and I are also going to launch my 10 foot bass raider with a trolling motor in a few spots. With how big the river is I know are tons of holes that have not been touched with tons of pike just sitting there. I usually do not name spots on this site, but has anyone had any experience in fishing the river in passaic? That's right the city of passaic. One of my friends went there by boat along route 21 a few years ago and said that he caught a few pike. One of them ranging in the high 30s. It makes sense because I know there is a canal that runs off from the river and thats where he said they were. The only problem is you are paddling into territory where bums live on the side of the river under route 21. My other buddy said he watched a fishing show where the guys were fishing in passaic with white spinner baits hammering pike. They were also saying that "rats" are one of the main food sources since there are so many of them in passaic under route 21. Has anyone seen this? I am dying to see the show. Two people have seen it that i know.

Was down there last night Anthony. Launched and made my way over before the storms came (barely lol). Got one decent Smallie in about an hour of fishing. Nothing going on at the spot you mentioned, just lots of carp sucking in air at the surface...and no bums surprisingly! I've fished a lot of spots, but that one just puts me on edge due to the fact that I don't really want a 40oz. of malt liquor flying at my face courtesy of a cracked out homeless guy. Water was low down there. I will send you the link to that video, it is on YouTube. I'd rather not post it in here, because it will totally blow up that spot even more, and may even lead to a missing person or two. Don't want to see any NJFishing guys getting their faces eaten off by zombie bums .

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek

Last edited by Skunk City; 02-27-2014 at 11:25 AM..