NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Jon boat Trolling motor/battery suggestions.......... - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 04-01-2013, 02:57 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Jon boat Trolling motor/battery suggestions..........

Picked up a new/used Jon Boat... 12 ft aluminum Lowe Jon boat...

what is a good size trolling motor and battery to get to use on this.. I mainly use on Passaic river, lakes and res's..... and is there any good recommendations to purchase these in North Jersey... I live in Clifton, NJ...
Old 04-01-2013, 06:30 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Jon boat Trolling motor/battery suggestions..........

You will need a DEEP CYCLE MARINE BATTERY either group 24 or 27 and prob should be okay with a 40lb thrust trolling motor as well. Don't forget you will need a battery charger as well and always charge the battery as soon as you get home from fishing.......Make sure to check the weight capacity for your boat if you can the bigger battery will give you longer time on the water but don't overload the boat!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetANet
You will need a DEEP CYCLE MARINE BATTERY either group 24 or 27 and prob should be okay with a 40lb thrust trolling motor as well. Don't forget you will need a battery charger as well and always charge the battery as soon as you get home from fishing.......Make sure to check the weight capacity for your boat if you can the bigger battery will give you longer time on the water but don't overload the boat!
Thank you so much for the info... my research was just confirmed with what you stated... I am heading out tonight and picking up 27 battery and a minkota 40 or 45 trolling.... thanks again
Old 04-01-2013, 07:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Jon oat Trolling motor/battery suggestions..........

No Problem, Not so sure about the urban paint job though LOL!!!! I have a 14 ft rowboat and I painted it blue like the sky! I thought it was a good camo color cause when the fish look up they see the sky! HAHAHAHAHA!
Old 04-01-2013, 09:17 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Jon oat Trolling motor/battery suggestions..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetANet
No Problem, Not so sure about the urban paint job though LOL!!!! I have a 14 ft rowboat and I painted it blue like the sky! I thought it was a good camo color cause when the fish look up they see the sky! HAHAHAHAHA!
I don't really care about being stealthy, I just want my boat looking "Bad Ass" on the water... lmao
Old 04-02-2013, 11:23 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I ended up buying a Walmart Everstart 29dc Maxx... figured more power and time on the water is always a good thing...

Do I need one of those Marine Power Box cases or is a regular plastic pop top case good enough?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:44 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

most state parks and alot of resi's want the battery in a box, so the ones that are top and bottom are fine. They have fancy ones that are kinda sealed and have their own pigtails inside and you make ur connects on the outside of it. The other thing is make sure you have your boaters safety certificate, u actually need it if your under electric power on any vessel I beleive. If you can afford it grab a 55# thrust motor, its always best to have the most power u can get w 12v power, if its windy as hell or an emergency you will appreciate a little xtra power, and uses the same power to troll on low speeds as a smaller motor.............good luck w it