NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Plain Lead Jighead vs. Painted Jig Head ? - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 01-22-2014, 09:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Plain Lead Jighead vs. Painted Jig Head ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by makokeith View Post
Very cool stuff. Thanks for the info. I'll stick with the UV blast for now, 250 is way out off my league,,,LOL
Thats by the pound.... lol. You do not have to buy it that way. We will have it packaged in smaller sizes in February. It will run maybe $15-$20. And you can mix it with other glow, to get a strong enough effect that will make a difference.

The offshore lures are loaded with it, thats why Jet Strike is so pricey. But to do smaller jigs.... it may cost you maybe about a buck a jig. Not too bad.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by makokeith View Post
XP, here is something I am going to try this year. This is 8oz jig with the barb/collar cut off and a wire keeper tied and epoxied on the hook. The hook comes right out where I want it too on the gulp grub. On the smaller jigs with smaller hooks I will have to cut a small piece off the grum. You can do this easy enough. If it works for me I will modify my molds to make this change permanent.

Great idea and I love the " home made " solution!!! You think like I do. Thats awesome man! Looks like it will do the job just fine.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:30 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

BTW... UV is also great for trolling ballyhoo too! This a shot of the tuna rockets that we make.

Notice the UV models, and then the neon green model that is NOT UV. You can see the difference here, for explanation.

How they look to us!

Last edited by JerseyCoast; 01-28-2014 at 07:48 AM..
Old 01-22-2014, 09:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyCoast View Post
Thats by the pound.... lol. You do not have to buy it that way. We will have it packaged in smaller sizes in February. It will run maybe $15-$20. And you can mix it with other glow, to get a strong enough effect that will make a difference.

The offshore lures are loaded with it, thats why Jet Strike is so pricey. But to do smaller jigs.... it may cost you maybe about a buck a jig. Not too bad.
So this can be applied to the lead head how? By dipping and then baking on like a powder coat?
If so would just heating with a heat gun work opposed to an oven bake?
Old 01-23-2014, 10:26 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Very innovative keith, should work perfectly.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:43 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Dave View Post
So this can be applied to the lead head how? By dipping and then baking on like a powder coat?
If so would just heating with a heat gun work opposed to an oven bake?
Can be done this way, or as a final coat of clear, depending on how you coat your jigs. The easiest way is to apply it as finishing coat, over top of whatever colors you choose.

Some of it is quick dry, some is not. As mentioned, the products like UV Blast are ok for a trip or two maybe. You will not get hurt by using it. The 1 thing I am not crazy about with the UV Blast formula is the smell. Seems to hang around for too long. Not a natural smell at all.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Tom

First time reading this entire post. Some very interesting and creative points you bring out. Was under the impression at first the UV was the same as glow jigs we see on the market. Much better informed now after reading your explanation. I am always looking to build a better mouse trap when it comes to my fishing tackle as I am always looking to get an advantage.

Will need to stop by the shop one day or run into you at one of the shows and brainstorm some ideas. Greatly appreciate you sharing info with us

Alex
Old 01-27-2014, 09:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
Tom

First time reading this entire post. Some very interesting and creative points you bring out. Was under the impression at first the UV was the same as glow jigs we see on the market. Much better informed now after reading your explanation. I am always looking to build a better mouse trap when it comes to my fishing tackle as I am always looking to get an advantage.

Will need to stop by the shop one day or run into you at one of the shows and brainstorm some ideas. Greatly appreciate you sharing info with us

Alex
Ditto Tom

I too am interested

Will be I n touch
Old 01-28-2014, 07:44 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
Tom

Alex
Alex, Steve,
1st, I moved photos into albums on Photobucket, I will fix that, so yo ucna see them again, Sorry about that.

The main reason I started this UV kick was exactly this reason. We had been messing with it, along with OMT, ( who turned me onto the results) and after a few seasons, we started to see the imports coming over. They were nothing more than glow in the dark, but being sold as UV. Then... you add in the dealers who always want to jump on the latest thing, also selling the wrong items..... it was going to give the whole UV Glow thing a bad name and ruin it.

This is exactly why I went into it so deep last year on all of the forums. No doubt it works. Your good up to 650' on average. As humans, we can barely get a glimpse of it at dusk & dawn, when the sun is at that low angle. You will see a haze around the lure. Otherwise we need the help of lights.

Any questions... be happy to try and answer. Thanks for the input. Its exactly why I did it. Now,..... your not going to waste your hard earned money on marketing scams.