NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Avet Reel - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 08-06-2012, 09:20 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Avet Reel

Hi Guys
Im thinking about buying an avet reel (sx mc) for deep water fluking. My only concern is that I never fished with-out a level line.

This is my question: what is the easiest way from keeping the line(20lb pp) from piling up in the middle of the reel?

Thanks!

Tom
Old 08-06-2012, 09:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Avet Reel

Use your thumb to guide the line onto the spool as you reel
Old 08-06-2012, 09:30 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Hey Tommyg17i have owned two avets in the past and they both broke within two years. Im not sure what i did wrong but they didn't last very long. I use Shimano tekotas on all my deepwater setups. I own 10 of them and currently use them. Perfect size and so smooth and easy to use. Just personal preference.

Here is the link to them http://fish.shimano.com/publish/cont...ag/tekota.html

Last edited by Johnny Bucktails; 08-06-2012 at 09:34 PM..
Old 08-06-2012, 09:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

No need for the mc model but the sx is a good choice I still have my first sx and its over 10 years old and still works fine.Back to your original question just use your thumb as a level wind
Old 08-06-2012, 10:01 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I use Avets all the time. I have four of them and beat them up on blues and stripers to amberjacks and tuna. never had a problem.

Unless you are serious about tangling with fish more than 20lbs the sx will be all you need. And even on the "bigger" fish it handles them fine but i would recommend the mx.

I use an sx, mx, mx 2 speed and lx ... all in a lovely shade of blue. The LX is my newest and is 1.5 y/o. trolled up some skipjack with it just two weeks ago.

If you are going really deep or toying with using it for ling/cod in the winter, well that's why I got the lx. 48" return per handle crank. So while other people kill themselves in 200+ feet of water, I am not. Just something to think about. The lx reel itself is overkill for fluke.

Best of luck and tight lines.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have two SX's and love them. You can save a few bucks by not getting a MC, IMO not necessary for fluking. Use your thumb to guide the line, before you know it you will be using your thumb without even realizing it. Avet makes a great reel, I own several different models
Old 08-06-2012, 10:27 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Smile Re: Avet Reel

Thank you guys for all your replies!

This was my first thread, and I am pleasently surprised by the quick responses. thanks again

Tom
Old 08-06-2012, 10:54 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Was flukin' today with my SX and all I can say is that it's one one best reels I've ever fished with. Avet makes quality reels and with basic maintenance, will last you many years of service. You get used to using your thumb to level wind the reel, it becomes second nature.

Last edited by HDMarc; 08-06-2012 at 10:59 PM..
Old 08-07-2012, 07:54 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyg17
Thank you guys for all your replies!

This was my first thread, and I am pleasently surprised by the quick responses. thanks again

Tom
Welcome to the site Tommy and that's how we roll on NJfishing.com

For what it's worth, I own several Avet reels and the advice above is spot on. Unless you are going to be using the SX for casting, you don't need to spend the extra money on the MC cast control models.

I like level winds as well, but what I found over the years is that it's one more moving part that can break. Futher, if you are used to fishing reels where the drag automatically engages when you crank the reel, this is going to take some getting used to as well. This is one of the main reasons people stay with these sorts of reels instead of lever drags like the Avet and others, where you have to manually engage the drag into strike.

One other thing to be aware of and that will take some getting used to is the line out/drag adjustments. You will see underneath the drag lever there is a round knob with numbers on it. This allows you to preset the drag to whatever tension you'd like when you put the drag lever in the strike position. It also effects the line out tension when you are a click above free spool..... Here in lies the issue with lever drag reels. There is no way to adjust the line out tension with out effecting the strike drag setting. In other words if you'd like to tweak the line out to make it tighter, this will also tighten the drag for the strike setting...

It sounds confusing but follow me here......

There are 4 positions for the drag lever.
- First is total free spool and no matter what you have the drag knob set to, it will not put any tension on the spool.
- Second engages the drag slightly and puts a slight amount of drag tension on the line. If you want more tension for this setting you need to tighten the drag knob.
- Third is strike and this is also effected by your drag knob setting so what ever you set the drag knob on it will effect the line tension on this position as well as the second position. So, there is really no way to adjust these tensions separately.
- Forth is full and no matter what the drag knob is set to, it will put the reel in the predetermined factory max drag setting for your particular reel.

With most non level wind star drag reels, in addition to the star drag, they also have a separate line out tension adjustment. So, when you are in free spool you can adjust the line out tension to any setting you like, with out effecting the drag setting. A nice feature especially if you are a lazy dead sticker like me. It allows you to put your pole in the holder in free spool and adjust the tension just enough to keep line from coming off the reel while your sinker is bouncing off the bottom, but gives the fish some line if you get a strike. Once you get the strike and you feel the fish has got a good hold of your bait, you can then engage the fighting drag.

Am I making any sense here

Having said all this, you'd think I'd prefer using a star instead of lever drag reel. However, lever drag reels in my opinion have a few key advantages that outweigh the disadvantages. Lever drags have a much larger drag surface then star drag reels. They have drag plates that are much like a disk break in your car as opposed to smaller drag washers on star drags. This makes for a silky smooth drag even at the tightest settings and makes them less prone to failure when put under a lot of pressure. The other advantage is you can really make finer tuned adjustments to your preset strike drag setting. Further, if you need a bit more drag when you are in the midst of trying to turn a fish, you can just move the lever up from strike to full and as mentioned above this will put the reel into max factory drag setting.

Here is an article that does a much more eloquent job then I did explaining the differences in star vs lever drag.
http://www.boatersworld.com/static/bwarticles/product/star-lever.html

Good luck with your decision and hope I haven't done more to confuse, rather then help you

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 08-07-2012 at 08:03 AM..
Old 08-08-2012, 09:35 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Wow!

Thank you for all the great info!

and I thank everyone for there input

Tommy