NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Party boat cooler - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 06-26-2019, 09:39 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Party boat cooler

I’ve decided to get back into th party boat scene, I just can’t get enough open boat spots when I can fish,
My question is what size cooler should I bring?
I’m thinking 50qt something with a interior length of 20”,
I’ll be fishing alone most times would wheels be a factor .
Any help is appreciated.
Size?
Make ?

Thanks
Old 06-26-2019, 11:11 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Party boat cooler

Get yourself a small wheelie cooler with the LOW top. This one fits under most party boat bench seats at the rail. I even attached a 2 rod rack between the rear wheels, makes it nice to travel withthe rods when you have a walk.

WAKE THE SLEEPING DOG
Old 06-27-2019, 06:14 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Coleman Extreme coolers hold ice best unless you want to spend a ridiculous amount on a Yeti. 50 is fine for fluke but bottom with porgies you might want 100q. Both have wheels. Pictures on Walmart website.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:18 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Great advice above... I like a cooler with wheels since I tend to bring a lot of stuff with me and it's too heavy to carry and I can get everything on the boat from the car in one shot. I also mounted some PVC pole holders on mine since I usually bring 2 poles and it makes it convenient to transport and I have the 2nd pole handy when I need it... Lastly, I like to fish the stern where there's usually no seating so having a cooler strong enough to sit on is a big plus.

As far as size 50 - 70 quart is probably a good happy medium. Anything bigger it will become too clumsy and or take up too much room.

If you fish with us on any of the trips we run here you might also want to have some way to lock it... Lets just say some of the guys have a preference for other people's beer and some strange things have wound up in others coolers

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 06-27-2019, 10:17 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I bought a Coleman Xtreme Series 50QT Wheeled Cooler from Walmart a little over a month ago and it literally fell apart the 3rd time I used it. I was rolling it across a parking lot and the wheel broke right off. In the dumpster it went. It was very cheap so I wasn't mad but what a total POS. The extending handle on the cooler felt very flimsy and I'm sure would've been the next thing to break off. I'm going to save up a little and spend more money on a quality cooler soon. I've been researching the high end rollers and the 50ish QT size range seems to be what I want for sea bass, fluke, etc trips. I have a bigger cooler for the times I'd need it that's not wheeled so I wanted something smaller I can pull along with all my gear in one shot. I will be buying the Pelican 45QW Elite Wheeled Cooler soon and they also make an 80QT wheeled as well if you need more. The handle design looks rugged and the wheels look strong. It's supposed hold ice for 10 days too. It's priced right up there with the Rovr, Yeti etc but they have a 30% off coupon on their website email signup right now. https://www.pelican.com/us/en/produc...ler/elite/45qw For a lot less money you should check out the Coleman 55QT Rugged A/T Wheeled Cooler. It still looks like the handle could be an issue but the reviews are good and it's supposed to be built sturdier. They're only about $60 so it's a lot less $ to risk if it's junk or not. I haven't seen one in person. https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Rugge.../dp/B01F38ZUJO

Last edited by henro; 06-27-2019 at 10:28 AM..
Old 06-27-2019, 11:20 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

To Henro:

A wheel also fell off my Coleman wheeled cooler. A 49 cent cap nut from Home Depot fixed it.