NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

"1st annual njf ice contest 2015" - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-23-2014, 02:11 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: "1st annual njf ice contest 2015"

All you guys who never ice fished before this is a PRIME OPPORTUNITY for you to experience it and learn the ropes so to say from some of the Vets on our site.
Ice fishing is not extremely expensive to get the basic stuff required. I personally am not too interested in jigging but will do it on occasion. I prefer to use Tip Ups with bait and wait. Here's some of the basic stuff I would recommend:
1> Some form of ice creepers is a must, There are a lot of different kinds out there to buy or if you wanna go cheap and save your money you can make your own by taking a few inch piece of chain and fasten it to the bottom of your boots with a shoe lace or small rope. Google how to make ice creepers and you will find the video. I thought it was pretty simple and affordable and might make a spare pair for back up.
2> Tip ups you are allowed 5 in NJ or 4 and a rod 5 is nice but 3 or 4 will get you started. There are a ton of these out there too depending on how much you want to spend. Polars are nice. they work well and are not too expensive or you can buy the basic wooden style which I use.
I am 50 years old and have had these since I was a teenager and they still work perfectly. You will need some braided dacron line and some leader material as well as some hooks and terminal tackle which most of you prob already have (Hooks Swivels Split shots).
3> An ice rod if you like they are not very expensive or you can use a small 4/5ft ultralight as well which is what I do if I want to Jig.
4> some type of device to make holes - gas augers/ electric augers/ hand augers/ chopping bar I have even seen people use an axe although I STRONGLY DO NOT Recommend that to make some holes on the ice. Most of the time ice fishing is usually a community sport meaning theres usually others on the ice too. Some will drill holes for you which is what we do at meet and greets but not something to rely on and you are better off if you can make your own.
5>An ice scooper and a depth finder (Weight that clips on your line not a Hummingbird LOL) and you are basically ready to ice fish.
Another good idea is a pair of ice pics for safety and you should try to always fish with someone else just in case of the event of one falling thru the ice.
COMMON SENSE IS FREE USE IT IMO the ice needs to be a solid 4 inches before I will venture out on it. To each his own but why would you wanna risk your life? SAFETY IS PRIORITY ONE!!!!

So if you wanna experience it and want a relief from cabin fever get the basics and come on out!!!! We have several meet and greets on the ice through out the ice season and these are the best ways for you to learn how to ICE EM!!!!
The contest is just something to make the ice season a little bit more fun and you never know BEGINNERS LUCK might just come your way!!!!
Jigman never ice fished till last year and I took him under my wing and look what he did as a first timer in the ice!!!!!!
Any one can feel free to chime in if I left something out or you have some additional pointers for us!!!!

16 Ft Princecraft DLX
9.9 Johnson
HELIX 7 Si GPS

Last edited by GetANet; 11-23-2014 at 02:14 AM..