NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

WOW, what a night for pike !!! - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default WOW, what a night for pike !!!

I left on a bus from midtown at 5 PM and said, if I get home before 6, I am going to hit the river. Pulled into my driveway at 5:59 and loaded the car and was on the water by 6:10. The river is still higher and more stained then I like, but there were a couple areas I just had to make a few casts. I made the long paddle and passed up some great looking spots, but there was ONE area that I had to fish and have enough time to get back before dark.

I picked up at least 5 nice pike heading to "the spot" and started doubting myself for even trying to make it there. All the pike were over 30", but I knew there were bigger ones in this spot.

I made it to the spot and on the first cast, I had a huge blow up without hooking up. The third cast......Bam....hooked up and landed a solid fish that pulled me through the whole area I wanted to spend some time in. I thought the spot was ruined for the night.

After getting back into the area, I made 2 more casts and hooked up with a REAL good one. After pulling weeds off the line and getting pulled around, I landed this pike at just 40 ".

Now I really thought the spot was done for the night after fighting the last one for 10 minutes.....wrong again !! A few casts later, I hook into a pike that was at least 8 inches bigger than the last one. This fish made 2 jumps about 25 feet away from the kayak and was heading to boh sides of the river pulling line. After a couple more runs, the weeds were just too much and the fish got off at the kayak.

I only had a few more casts to make before it was going to be dark and I still had a 30 minute paddle back to my car. There can't be another pike here after all the crazy action in the last 40 minutes................WRONG again !! I hook up with another great pike and land it. A quick picture and I had to paddle my a$$ back to land before dark. This one was just at the 40" mark also.

I haven't had the time to make it to this spot in about 2 months with all the salt water striper fishing I have been doing, but I can't wait to have some more time and fish all the spots I passed up with the weed conditions that are in the river now.

Danny V
Old 07-08-2013, 10:16 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: WOW, what a night for pike !!!

WOW is right! Epic pike fishing.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:42 PM
iceehot6766

Dan the Pike man!!
Old 07-08-2013, 11:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Holy Sh*t
Old 07-08-2013, 11:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Old 07-09-2013, 06:47 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: WOW, what a night for pike !!!

Great report!!! Great looking PIKE!!!! Awesome catch!!!! That last Pike pictured looks GIGANTIC, WOW!!!
Old 07-09-2013, 07:21 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Two fish at the 40" mark in the same day is definitely a banner day in my book! Sounds like you really got into the fish today great report.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:19 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Pike hustlin'... sick fish man! I want one...or two...
Old 07-09-2013, 08:54 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Great catches! Sounds like a lot of fun.... Who takes the pictures?
Old 07-09-2013, 09:04 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydix
Great catches! Sounds like a lot of fun.... Who takes the pictures?
I have a camera mount that I swing out to take the pictures. I hit the 10 second self timer on the camera and swing the arm out. I can't tell you how many times a pike will jump out of my hands at the 9 second mark !! LOL It does make for some good action shots though.

Danny V