NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Snakeheads - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 01-28-2023, 09:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Snakeheads

Just watched a video of a guy catching a Snakehead in the Paulinskill.
Old 01-29-2023, 02:02 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Snakeheads

What part of the paulinskill?
Old 01-29-2023, 04:27 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lyons View Post
Just watched a video of a guy catching a Snakehead in the Paulinskill.
That cant be a good sign of things to come....
Old 01-30-2023, 08:57 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Snakeheads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFqF3lsumIE
Old 01-30-2023, 08:57 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Well, the Paulinskill is a trib of the Delaware, so not that surprising really..
Snakeheads are well known for being able to adapt anywhere, muddy, low oxygen weedy ponds, to crystal clear trout streams.. So yeah, not a good development... Sad part is, these fish were originally imported into the US for the live fish trade.. Live specimens were released on purpose, this was not an "ecological accident"... Same live fish mindset that caused tog populations to falter..
Old 01-30-2023, 10:04 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

i knew it, the snakehead lovers were behind the dam removals just so these monsters can climb there way to the ultimate goal... headwater brook trout... soon the beloved freshwater state game fish will be purged from every headwater stream as the snakeheads eat their way upstream!

lol, i just joke. Snakeheads have been in the Delaware for a while now right? havent a few been caught further upstream in NY over the years?
i wonder if there's any noticeable growth in the # of snakeheads found north.
Old 01-30-2023, 11:42 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
i knew it, the snakehead lovers were behind the dam removals just so these monsters can climb there way to the ultimate goal... headwater brook trout... soon the beloved freshwater state game fish will be purged from every headwater stream as the snakeheads eat their way upstream!

lol, i just joke. Snakeheads have been in the Delaware for a while now right? havent a few been caught further upstream in NY over the years?
i wonder if there's any noticeable growth in the # of snakeheads found north.
Not sure about their temp tolerance... NY does having warnings about them, but there aren't any here in the Southern Tier or in the big lakes.. At least none that I am aware of.. Just because a species can survive in a given habitat[say trout streams], does not mean they will flourish there... Carp , bullheads , channel cats, even Walleyes, yellow perch, and i dunno, Crappies Sunnies, etc, might survive in a rocky trout stream, but the does not mean they will be very abundant there... Right now, even Flatheads which are abundant in NJ and Pa. have yet to be seen in the big rivers up here, Delaware and Susquehanna, although a NYS fisheries biologist/researcher told me that Flatheads are considered present in the Susky around the NY/Pa border ... The Susquehanna in Pa, has Crappies, Yellow Perch, Sunfish, yet here in NY state 75 miles upriver they are virtually non existent... There ARE limitations that are designed into species by their Creator, and sometimes they only go so far into any given habitat... I don't know much about Snakeheads, but I dunno, from looking at them they seem more like a fish that likes warm water, and not a fish that would do well with water temps in the 30's for a good part of the year. Time will tell I suppose.. bob
's
Old 01-30-2023, 01:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Amazed at how far these fish are traveling the waterways. I know my fins would be tired. I don’t personally see it as a negative situation but then again I’m no biologist!
Old 01-30-2023, 03:54 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29 View Post
Amazed at how far these fish are traveling the waterways. I know my fins would be tired. I don’t personally see it as a negative situation but then again I’m no biologist!
IMHO, for every Trout they eat, they would eat 50 Creek Chubs, Fallfish, Suckers etc... Plus they would fight harder than a Trout, and most likely taste better... As I posted earlier, i don't think a rocky riffle filled Trout stream would be prime habitat for them...