NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

2022 Stocking Report - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 01-26-2023, 10:33 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default 2022 Stocking Report

NJFW posted their annual stocking counts for 2022. Big thanks to the staff for all they do to make NJ such a diverse freshwater fishery.

https://dep.nj.gov/wp-content/upload...tockings22.pdf

I continue to be amazed by the number of pike put into Cranberry. They are total ghosts in that lake.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: 2022 Stocking Report

impressive, catfish for everyone!
Old 01-27-2023, 03:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I am not sure you guys from NJ realize how fortunate you are.. NJ DEC does a fantastic job with a LOT less habitat than we have in NY... Yes, NY maintains a good fishery for Pacific Salmon in Lake Ontario, and it keeps the Finger Lakes and catskill streams stocked, but almost all of that is geared toward the tourists..
They stock next to nothing as far as warm water species in moderate sized or smallish lakes.. Everything is left as is... Too expensive, not enough return, and a million other reasons why... Walleye, SMB, LMB, Cats, Crappies, are never stocked anywhere in NY state.. All hatchery production is geared toward maintaining salmonids in the tourist areas, and for whatever reason, throwing Tiger Muskies in places where they promptly decimate panfish production, and usually prove tough as hell to catch for most anglers.. When Walleyes showed up a few years ago, in Skaneatles the DEC wated them eradicated FAST.. I saw with my own eyes in Cayuga Lake, NYC DEC guys gill netting Pike in their spawning area at the south end of the lake , clubbing and killing them.. Most likely to keep them from eating their precious trout...
We have NO Stripers, NO Hybrids, No White Perch,Crappies are non existent in many lakes, Channels cats are present, but mostly just in the large rivers is there a decent fishery for them... They are present in some of the big lakes, but try catching one... NY is great if you like trolling in giant lakes, or catskill stream fishing for trout, but I'll take the variety, and the production NJ offers in its smaller but extremely well managed smaller lakes and FW rivers,, There are some really productive waters here, no doubt, but they seem to often be found where the main tourist money is spent... Lake George, Lake Ontario, Catskills, etc...

Rant over I guess... I have lived here 31 years, lived in NJ for 37...I would take NJ fishing overall[ [salt and fresh] over NY state any day.. Yeah we have pacific Salmon here, but no stripers or hybrids.. Maybe I'm crazy, but the pics don't lie, when I see angler photos and reports.Outside of big trout and salmon caught by trollers or in the LO tribs,, I often see more impressive catches here on NJF than on the Lake Ontario United site... bob

Last edited by bulletbob; 01-27-2023 at 04:33 PM..
Old 01-28-2023, 01:16 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
NY maintains a good fishery for Pacific Salmon in Lake Ontario, and it keeps the Finger Lakes and Catskill streams stocked, but almost all of that is geared toward the tourists..
I have vacationed in the Catskills four or five times (in the fall), and each time I was amazed at how few trout fishermen I saw in the streams up there such as the Esopus, Beaverkill, Willowemoc, East Branch Delaware, and Schoharie.

In contrast, last spring I tried to fish the Farmington River in Connecticut on a Saturday, and I had to struggle to find spots to park in.
Old 01-28-2023, 02:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Vitale View Post
I have vacationed in the Catskills four or five times (in the fall), and each time I was amazed at how few trout fishermen I saw in the streams up there such as the Esopus, Beaverkill, Willowemoc, East Branch Delaware, and Schoharie.

In contrast, last spring I tried to fish the Farmington River in Connecticut on a Saturday, and I had to struggle to find spots to park in.
The fish aren't everywhere.. There is a lot of unproductive water.. Most fishermen typically do better with a local guide first time or two, unless fishing streams that are heavily stocked..
Thats a good area, and there's a lot of water, but I see the pics from the Musky, Raritan, and Paulinskill, and I am not sure if they are any less productive for those that know them.. Also, NJ stocks 2 year old fish, and NY stocks 1 year old fish, so there is a big size difference when fishing in stocked streams between NY and NJ.. The fall up here is not prime time, and even the big lakes see less guys trolling... Guys are gearing up for hunting in upstate NY in fall.
There is intense pressure on the streams up north running into lake Ontario
as the Pacific Salmon are fall spawners, and run up the streams.. Both spawning Pacific and LL Atlantic salmon are fall targets here in the fall, and thats where most stream fishermen are.... .bob
Old 01-28-2023, 06:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

NJ is definitely very good at raising and stocking fish. It's worth the cost of a NJ state fishing license. I purchase the trout stamp too and I don't fish for trout anymore... I just feel it's a good, small way to support a great hatchery system.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:02 PM
Old Soft Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigman13 View Post
NJ is definitely very good at raising and stocking fish. It's worth the cost of a NJ state fishing license. I purchase the trout stamp too and I don't fish for trout anymore... I just feel it's a good, small way to support a great hatchery system.
A resident senior (which I am) fishing license in NJ with Trout stamp costs $22.50.
I spend more than that in one trip for gas and food.
License is the least expensive item when fishing, comes out to 6 cents a day.

When I see people fishing with no displayed license I figure there just cheap
A - holes or poor.
While I wish there where Brown trout stocked in NJ I think they (DEP) do a damn good job.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:27 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
NJ stocks 2 year old fish, and NY stocks 1 year old fish, so there is a big size difference when fishing in stocked streams between NY and NJ.
True, but don't forget that all those exclusive clubs up there perform their own stockings...
http://beaverkilltrouthatchery.com/
Old 01-29-2023, 04:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The majority of upstate NY fishermen fish the lakes for trout, from what I gather.. Trolling is everything here, and its the main way most fishermen fish for trout and salmon... the catskill and adirondack trout streams get a lot more tourist play than they do from locals,, Same can be said about the salmon runs in the Ontario tribs... As many out of staters as locals, sometimes even more.. Doesn't bother me at all, I don't typically fish the streams... I prefer sat water fishing far above fresh anyway... bob