NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Monster Flathead Madness (8/4/16): New PB and a First - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-05-2016, 04:29 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Monster Flathead Madness (8/4/16): New PB and a First

I decided that one of my goals this year was to catch a flathead catfish. Once that goal was met, I decided I wanted to a big flathead catfish. A really big one. I had been doing a little research to learn about the species, and had been scouting for some new spots. I had found an area that I was certain would hold some big fish. I gave Chrisper a call, and despite his personal vendetta against whisker fish, he was eager to join.

We caught bait and arrived at the spot at dark, only to find two guys set up right where we were going to fish. Not a big deal, we made an adjustment and set up about 50 yards away. I figured that there would be fish hunting throughout the whole area. We set up, and prepared for the wait. Tonight, the wait wasn't long.

Within ten minutes of setting up, line started to fly off my reel into the darkness. I grabbed the rod and set the hook, and immediately felt the massive headshakes of a very big catfish. Way bigger than any of my previous flatheads. After a fight involving runs punctuated by massive headshakes, I saw a flathead emerge from the depths. I waded in the shallow water and grabbed the fish by the jaw, and the fish was clearly not done fighting. After a bit of twisting, flopping and biting, I had my new (by far) personal best flathead catfish. I didn't measure the fish, but I would guess it was somewhere between 25 and 30lbs. A quick picture and she was safely released.

We worked quickly to set the rods back out and try to get another. Chrisper landed the perfect cast and before he could put his rod down there was line screaming off the reel. He set the hook, and rod bowed instantly. After a* tense fight, the fish appeared in the shallow water and I waded in and lipped his very first flathead catfish. And a big one at that! The fish taped out to 32 inches, which put it right around 16lbs. Once again, after a couple of well-deserved pictures, the catfish was returned to the water.

As we were casting the baits out, Chrisper hit another cat on the head and his reel was screaming even before he put his rod down.
Unfortunately, on the hookset the fish ran across a rock and cut the line.

Things were quiet for a while before my reel screamed again. I picked up the rod and set the hook, and was greeted to the same vicious headshakes and runs. This fish also thrashed on the surface, throwing water everywhere. This fish taped out to 33.5 inches and was estimated at 18 to 19lbs.

After that, we called it a night after fishing only 2 hours because I had work in the morning. Though I didn't measure my biggest fish, it was quite a bit longer than the 33.5 inches, which probably put it in the 25 to 30lb class. I love flathead fishing!

Last edited by JDTuna; 08-05-2016 at 04:31 PM..
Old 08-05-2016, 04:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Monster Flathead Madness (8/4/16): New PB and a First

YEA BUDDY! Now were talking! Those are some beautiful INVASIVE FLATHEADS! I love this! Great fishing guys! Way to get the bigguns to bite! FLATHEAD FEVER!

JD! The 36+ inchers I've got had various weights depending on what was in there bellies! 1 36 was 25lbs 4ozs! Another was much wider and fatter just under 30 lbs! The fatter the belly the better! That fish you caught looks longgggg in the pic! You sure it wasn't closer to 40 inches? They've been around and are being caught pretty far north! Good stuff man!!!
Old 08-05-2016, 05:13 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Monster Flathead Madness (8/4/16): New PB and a First

Why would you release a Flathead? I was under the impression you are supposed to kill everyone you catch as per F&G's instructions on invasive fish.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Great job, your making me want to try this out.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:41 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaink View Post
Why would you release a Flathead? I was under the impression you are supposed to kill everyone you catch as per F&G's instructions on invasive fish.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/aquat...s.htm?prompt=0

He is correct. And their tasty- never had one from the Delaware- but imagine their good
Old 08-05-2016, 06:11 PM
dakota560

First your comments assume these fish were caught in NJ, maybe they were caught at the Delaware Water Gap on the Pa side which has a different set of regulations. If they were taken from NJ waters, NJ regulations require release because they don't want these fish encroaching on the established species already present in the system. You've heard the saying "hope is not a strategy". Well NJFG hoping these fish go away is equivalent to putting their heads in the sand. They're population is increasing, size is increasing and they're pushing further up river every year. One fish lays a massive amount of eggs, the species is apparently spawning with great success so the fishery is only going to further expand. For those who target them, they are truly a trophy catch. And like many trophy catches, many if not most people release them in the hopes of catching even bigger flat heads. NJFG will be forced to change their stance at some point because the simple facts are mandating people to release their catches isn't going to happen. And even if the few maniacs who target these fish and put in the insane hours catching a trophy keep them, the population is still going to explode. How many people would kill an 8 lb large mouth bass, a 4 lb small mouth, or a 35 lb musky? Then why would you expect people to kill a 40 plus lb. flat head, just because the state says so even though it won't make a dent in the population? NJ as I said earlier has their heads in the sand with this fishery, they'll be forced to take a different position sooner than later. Just because they're clueless doesn't mean we have to be. It's one of the greatest fresh water fisheries we have which provides an opportunity to catch a truly huge fish, why destroy it. Nature has a way of balancing out, maybe flat heads are nature's answer for controlling the spread of carp! The answer doesn't always have to be in the form of a regulation. And in this case it's a regulation which makes no sense so if you or anyone else want to follow it blindly just because it exists that's your prerogative but as I said most serious flat head guys respect the resource and will never keep a trophy fish just because some bureaucrat is trying to protect the resident species of fish. At the end of the day, it all comes down to money and in the case of our fisheries selling more resident and non resident fishing licenses. Well embrace the flat head fishery and sell more licenses. Initiate and promote tournaments. Everyone is concerned the precious trout, walleye and small mouth populations in the big rivers will be destroyed by these fish. Maybe nature will find a way of balancing itself out without politicians involvement. What a novel idea! I would challenge anyone on this site to put in the effort to catch one of these trophies and NOT catch the bug. They hit like a freight train, can peel 100 feet of drag in seconds and have head shakes that rival any fresh water fish. Worthy adversary that requires time and effort. Almost exclusively a live bait predator that requires fishing at night. As a previous thread discussed, there are fish caught during daylight and on cut bait but 95% of fish I would guess are taken at night with live baits. What other fresh water fishery is there when every bite you get could be a 30 or 40 lb fish.....none! My question would be why would anyone not release these big girls. If you want a few and feel better obeying the regulations, keep some of the smaller fish but don't &$%^ up one of the best fisheries this state or any other has to offer.......it would be a sin especially if your doing so just because the state said you have to because of money and politics!

Oh and by the way, Justin and Chris way to make it happen guys. Wish I was there with you last night. You pay your dues and catching those fish was not stupid luck. With the hours we all put in, a 40 lber will hit the decks this year, feel very confident in that. We might have dropped a few already but sooner than later we'll get and land the right bite. Chris fantastic to see you not only scratch the flat head off your bucket list but do it in grand fashion! Great job guys!

Last edited by dakota560; 08-05-2016 at 11:23 PM..
Old 08-05-2016, 06:24 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29 View Post
YEA BUDDY! Now were talking! Those are some beautiful INVASIVE FLATHEADS! I love this! Great fishing guys! Way to get the bigguns to bite! FLATHEAD FEVER!

JD! The 36+ inchers I've got had various weights depending on what was in there bellies! 1 36 was 25lbs 4ozs! Another was much wider and fatter just under 30 lbs! The fatter the belly the better! That fish you caught looks longgggg in the pic! You sure it wasn't closer to 40 inches? They've been around and are being caught pretty far north! Good stuff man!!!
Thanks man! The big fish in the first picture was likely pushing 40". I didn't measure it but it was a lot bigger than my other fish.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota560 View Post
First your comments assume these fish were caught in NJ, maybe they were caught at the Delaware Water Gap on the Pa side which has a different set of regulations. If they were taken from NJ waters, NJ regulations require release because they don't want these fish encroaching on the established species already present in the system. You've heard the saying "hope is not a strategy". Well NJFG hoping these fish go away is equivalent to putting their heads in the sand. They're population is increasing, size is increasing and they're pushing further up river every year. One fish lays a massive amount of eggs, the species is apparently spawning with great success so the fishery is only going to further expand. For those who target them, they are truly a trophy catch. And like many trophy catches, many if not most people release them in the hopes of catching even bigger flat heads. NJFG will be forced to change their stance at some point because the simple facts are mandating people to release their catches isn't going to happen. And even if the few maniacs who target these fish and put in the insane hours catching a trophy keep them, the population is still going to explode. How many people would kill an 8 lb large mouth bass, a 4 lb small mouth, or a 35 lb musky? Then why would you expect people to kill a 40 plus lb. flat head, just because the state says so even though it won't make a dent in the population? NJ as I said earlier has their heads in the sand with this fishery, they'll be forced to take a different position sooner than later. Just because they're clueless doesn't mean we have to be. It's one of the greatest fresh water fisheries we have which provides an opportunity to catch a truly huge fish, why destroy it. Nature has a way of balancing out, maybe flat heads are nature's answer for controlling the spread of carp! The answer doesn't always have to be in the form of a regulation. And in this case it's a regulation which makes no sense so if you or anyone else want to follow it blindly just because it exists that's your prerogative but as I said most serious flat head guys respect the resource and will never keep a trophy fish just because some bureaucrat is trying to protect the resident species of fish. At the end of the day, it all comes down to money and in the case of our fisheries selling resident and non resident fishing licenses. Well embrace the flat head fishery and sell more licenses. Initiate and promote tournaments. Everyone is concerned the precious trout, walleye and small mouth populations in the big rivers will be destroyed by these fish. Maybe nature will find a way of balancing itself out without politicians involvement. What a novel idea! I would challenge anyone on this site to put in the effort to catch one of these trophies and NOT catch the bug. They hit like a freight train, can peel 100 feet of drag in seconds and have head shakes that rival any fresh water fish. Worthy adversary that requires time and effort. Almost exclusively a live bait predator that requires fishing at night. As a previous thread discussed, there are fish caught during daylight and on cut bait but 95% of fish I would guess are taken at night with live baits. What other fresh water fishery is there when every bite you get could be a 30 or 40 lb fish.....none! My question would be why would anyone not release these big girls. If you want a few and feel better obeying the regulations, keep some of the smaller fish but don't &$%^ up one of the best fisheries this state or any other has to offer.......it would be a sin especially if your doing so just because the state said you have to because of money and politics!

Oh and by the way, Justin and Chris way to make it happen guys. Wish I was there with you last night. You pay your dues and catching those fish was not stupid luck. With the hours we all put in, a 40 lber will hit the decks this year, feel very confident in that. We might have dropped a few already but sooner than later we'll get the right bite. Chris fantastic to see you not only scratch the flat head off your bucket list but do it in grand fashion! Great job guys!
Very well stated my friend! I am very happy you said what I have always been thinking! They don't have a clue as to how many are out there! They're in the Raritan, BIG D, D&R canal and other river systems! I've flipped many rocks looking for Smallie bait and at certain times of year there's baby Flats everywhere! The Smallie population has mad a comeback in the rivers I fish! Bait is thriving! I say let them live! Does the state really think I'm going to kill a 25-30 lb fish to bring home? Oh hell no NJF&G! This is the one thing I disagree with! You can't turn a catch and release guy into a MURDERER! That's straight up terroristic kind of stuff! Do yourselves a favor and get rid of the "DESTROY THE FLATHEAD" idea! It's not going to happen!!!

Dakota! Thank you again for your post! Good stuff!

And kudos to JD and Chrisper for an EPIC night of "FLATHEADIN!!!"
Old 08-05-2016, 09:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

well done congrats on your pb flathead. all those fish are awesomeby the way thanks for calling chrisper and helping him kick that curse congrats to chris on his first flattyyou guys hammerd em.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:15 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Another stellar report from the dynamic duo!! Great job & congrats on the new PB JD!! Definitely a nice specimen you picked off as well Cris! Work hard, play hard, nice pics to show a job well done.