NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Fluke Rod & Reel for bucktail question - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 03-22-2014, 01:42 PM
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Fluke Rod & Reel for bucktail question

Bergen Angler...stop by the shop and I will help you pick out, and set up a combo without breaking the bank...Pete

Now located at
25 Route 36 East
Middletown NJ
Just passed CVS on Route 36 East

732-787-2248
Old 03-25-2014, 01:46 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

As you can see there are many different opinions. And, I'm sure each guy believes his outfit will fit your needs. Best bet is get out on a couple party boats, if the mates have some favorite bucktail equipment they might let you try it. If I was on a boat I'd let you try out my outfit. And other anglers would as well. Some would never, but they are the exception rather than the rule. Real life as opposed to just holding a balanced combo is the way to go. Conditions can change in a hurry so with that the weight of the bucktail, changing the"feel" drastically.

Think of it as an investment. You wouldn't buy a car without driving it. Test drive a few when possible. You don't want to buy something that you come to realize just isn't right for you.

I almost exclusively back bay (Raritan) bucktail. I have a custom 6' 2" spinning rod Paid just south of 80 bucks and a middle of the road, quality, name brand spinning reel, which I bought for easy maintenance, and the fact that it got high reliability reviews $59.99, spooled with 10 lb. slick pp. No matter how much you spend you don't want your gear breaking down. Especially when the bite is on, and you are in the zone.

Lastly, always remember, it ain't the arrow but the indian. But, let's face it the better arrows sure can't hurt, the brighter indians agree with that.

Good luck!
Old 04-14-2015, 10:49 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
That's pretty much what I have. Mine is the Shimano Trevala TVC-66MH 6'6" Medium heavy power and Medium fast action. Will take braided line 50-100lbs. I use 50# Powder Pro on an Abu Garcia 10000I Big Game reel. The pole and reel cost about $250.

I also have a Shimano Trevala TVS-66MH Medium heavy power and Medium fast action. Will also take braided line 50-100lbs. This pole has a Van Staal VM 150 with 50# test Power Pro on it.
Are we really talking about fluke fishing with these setups? I may need further advice.

i have been fluke fishing for 45 years and never considered going that heavy
Old 04-15-2015, 06:00 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Whatever set up you decide on, braided line is pretty much a must Bucktailing. It gives you a much better feel, which is important to help signal strikes as well as feel the bottom when you are fishing the sticky stuff and avoid snags. It also has less resitance in the water so you can typically use less weight to hold bottom, which is proabably it's most important advantage over mono when Fluking.

Tie on a 10 foot 30 lb top shot of mono and use it to make your loop for the teaser hook and tie your bucktail to. If you break off just use the remaining mono to tie another rig.

As mentioned above a light spinner is good to use if you are casting around and fishing the shallows. If you're fishing deep and in the sticky stuff then I prefer a conventional.

You also want to keep the weight of the rod and reel to a minimum since you are going to be working it all day and a heavy rod and reel will wear you out.

Most of the time you will be fishing 3 or 4 ounces, occationally 6 or 8 and if you have to use more then 8 then your probably better off draging bait.

For conventionals, I like the Avet SXJ or the SX and several people I know are also using Abu Revo and Diawa Lexa and love them.... Just make sure which ever reel you choose it balances well on the rod you choose.

Happy Bucktailing. Once you come over to the dark side your are never going back.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area