NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Sea Bass some interesting information - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Default Sea Bass some interesting information

http://fisherynation.com/archives/78459
Old 03-12-2019, 09:25 PM
dakota560

Default Re: Sea Bass some interesting information

Joey.....another oversight NMFS fails to consider is the impact on the overall food chain of regulatory changes involving one species and the impact it has on others. Have caught a number of sea bass over the years with small crabs, maybe baby white leggers, and small 1"-2" baby lobster in their stomachs. Same could be said of the endangered spiney dog fish! How many juvenile fish are killed every year since they've become protected. Food chain balance can't be ignored. Same with ling and scallops. So maybe the well funded commercial lobby for lobsterman will provide more liberalized regulations for recreational fisherman with sea bass! How's that for a sound management philosophy!

Last edited by dakota560; 03-12-2019 at 09:42 PM..
Old 03-12-2019, 09:38 PM
Site Sponsor

Soooo
When the stocks are rebuilt by 300 %
What should we expect?
Tighter regulation???

Nobody who sits on any council or is involved with the making of regulations should spend less than 100 days on the water.

DESK LIFE
Must be nice

http://www.taggedfishcharters.com/
Sailing from Highlands, N.J.

Specialized in Small & Medium Charters for
1 - 15 of your Friends, Family or Clients

Charters are priced according to the number of people in your group

Open boat fishing option
Pick a date from our trip calendar

~~ CALL OR TEXT ONLY ~~

732-895-7830

Last edited by TAGGED FISH; 03-12-2019 at 09:48 PM..
Old 03-13-2019, 12:23 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Everything in salt water eats lobsters, nothing new there, Tog and bergalls probably eat small ones by the millions.

I have caught ling with small lobsters hanging out of their mouths... this article seems to state that Mass and RI have only recently seen a big population due to "global warming".. Sorry but thats a crock.. those states had spectacular black sea bass fisheries decades ago when I was a young man, way before global warming debates...

Before the seas were regularly swept clean of everything alive, nature kept things in balance.. Lets say, a predator species overpopulated an area... They would decimate a prey species.. Within a year or two when the food source was eaten up, the predator species would die down or move off, and with the predators now reduced, the prey species would rebound...Simplistic yes, but it worked that way.. Nowadays we humans are in the mix all too often, and upset the balance beyond what nature can repair quickly..
We ate up all the Cod, then the lobster population exploded several years ago, up till today, and now the lobsters are getting their asses kicked by sea bass.. At least thats what this article says..

If we are seeing articles about how huge sea bass populations are decimating lobsters, how about letting sport fishermen take a few more??.. pretty simple right?..

If the lobster fishermen catch rates go down too far , they could just switch to the "invasive" sea bass.. I can buy a 1 1/2 pound lobster around here for about $12, but a 1 1/2 pound black sea bass is about $17...

yes I am being cynical, but thats what happens when people are complaining about too many sea bass on one hand, and then on the other we have regulations that are getting more restrictive all the time in our quest to keep a few... bob
Old 03-13-2019, 08:32 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

When the government is controlling the huge imbalance of one species it will always effect many others that share the same environment.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

That’s why sea bass taste so good

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 03-14-2019, 04:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Question Re: Sea Bass some interesting information

So if Summer Flounder were rebuilt 300% you can still look forward to more cuts I guess then.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
So if Summer Flounder were rebuilt 300% you can still look forward to more cuts I guess then.
For a sweet water guy you are certainly a SW pot stirrer
Old 03-14-2019, 08:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Smile Re: Sea Bass some interesting information

Sweetwater ?? Let me age myself by going on the Piper out of Point Pleasant with my father when I could barely see over the rail. Spent about every weekend with my father growing up either fluke fishing, mackerel, bluefish or magic hour trips On the Norma K III watching burlap sacks rip from the rail over flowing with ling and whiting. Lived on party boats growing up, spent time helping on the Norma K II and was a deck hand on the Sea Devil for a while doing bluefish trips. Sweetwater ?? Foamed at the mouth every fall doing at least 3 canyon trips if not more. Moved over and started doing tilefish and love offshore sea bass trips. My father told me I would see changes in my life that I would not believe, I remember being KNEE deep in Boston Mackerel in the spring on party boats. Bingle Bananas, been there done that. Caught tuna before fluorocarbon leader was even invented. Surf fished like a lunatic for at least 14 years strait !! Sweetwater, yes always held a special place in my heart watching trout in the limestone fed rivers in central Pennsylvania.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: Sea Bass some interesting information

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Sweetwater ?? Let me age myself by going on the Piper out of Point Pleasant with my father when I could barely see over the rail. Spent about every weekend with my father growing up either fluke fishing, mackerel, bluefish or magic hour trips On the Norma K III watching burlap sacks rip from the rail over flowing with ling and whiting. Lived on party boats growing up, spent time helping on the Norma K II and was a deck hand on the Sea Devil for a while doing bluefish trips. Sweetwater ?? Foamed at the mouth every fall doing at least 3 canyon trips if not more. Moved over and started doing tilefish and love offshore sea bass trips. My father told me I would see changes in my life that I would not believe, I remember being KNEE deep in Boston Mackerel in the spring on party boats. Bingle Bananas, been there done that. Caught tuna before fluorocarbon leader was even invented. Surf fished like a lunatic for at least 14 years strait !! Sweetwater, yes always held a special place in my heart watching trout in the limestone fed rivers in central Pennsylvania.
Andy
Thanks for the Bio. I share most of those same memories. I stand corrected and carry on stirring as you have earned it.