NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Who introduced you to fishing? - Page 4 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:27 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Who introduced you to fishing?

My dad taught me - fresh water lakes for sunnies when I was very young in the late 50's early 60's. Then my grandfather taught me how to fish in the Manasquan Inlet and PP Canal in the 60's. And finally, in the late 60's I think, my dad took me on my first party boat (the pink and green Miss Belmar) for blues at night. I was thrilled to catch a few fish but I got very seasick. In recent years when I take him out on fishing boats, I always think "this is a win win situation". If he catches fish or gets seasick, what he did for me in the past is reciprocated either way.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:44 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

My father taught me and my three brothers how to fish. I still can't figure out how he was able to untangle nests of fishing line, rescue lures from tree limbs and still teach us how to safely unhook a fish. I laugh even to this day when he reminds us to set our drags correctly- we have finally realized that "horsing" in a fish is really not a great way to fight a fish. Now, I really enjoy teaching my 5 year old son how to enjoy fishing--- such patience but loads of fun.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:07 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

My dad. I had no choice but to fish! He used to wake me up around 4:00 am before school, at the age of 6, to go plug the jetties or live line off the Sea Bright wall. We also used to launch a 14' Mirrorcraft off the beach in Monmouth Beach just to get to the rocks faster. Lots of big weakfish and fluke back then. Talk about crazy! He was very passionate about his surf fishing, with over a dozen stripers above 50lbs. He passed away last July and fished up to a couple months before his passing. Now I take over for him teaching my two daughters to fish and they love it! Rest in peace Dad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dad fishing (640x435).jpg
Views:	223
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	66612  

Last edited by Islander II; 12-12-2013 at 01:37 PM..
Old 12-12-2013, 11:57 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

My grandfather "DA" used to take me to Avon every day in the summer from 8:00am on... He showed me how to dig sand crabs and catch spearing and killies by the jetties with a net. Got me my first rod when I was 5yo and started fishing from that point, fresh and saltwater. When I got to be 7 he would walk me from Washington ave to the inlet and let me fish all day there. Picked up a lot from him. I can even remember just taking the walk to the inlet to see the boats come in around lunch when I couldn't fish there yet. Miss belmar, big Marie S, and many other boats I used to wave to from the rocks. I would fish everyday I could. Used to seine spearing and net killies in the cove and make a few bucks selling the bait to guys on the rocks. All my allowance went to something for fishing right from the start,some habits are really hard to break, "Bad Habit"... We fished together for many years,in many places-jersey and Florida which he and my grandmother would fly me down for two weeks every Easter during elementary school and fish the gulf off an old cement pier in long boat key every day and go reef fishing on a friends boat, these memories will last a lifetime- rest in peace Da. As time went on and I could ride my bike to fishing spots it was on from there, me and a few buddies would fish for something thru the whole year. Girls started looking better so I took off a little time but never fully gave up, just wasn't always allowed by the significant other. I learned fast to let the new women that I fish and that's what I do- no problems since: love you Cathy!! I have always fished and always will.
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 12-12-2013, 12:23 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

My grandfather got me hooked when he would take me to the Point Pleasant cannel and fish for black fish with 12 foot bamboo poles with twine as line. Miss those days and him very much.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Smile Re: Who introduced you to fishing?

Back in the " good o'le days", Sam Lewis and my dad took me to Kensico Reservoir in NY @ the age of 5 for a day of carp fishing.I still have the Penn 200 surf-master that I used along with a 6' fiber glass rod. Now here it is 65 years later, they are both gone, but I love the sport. The peace and quiet is my salvation. My two sons are also into fishing when they have time. They will both get all of my fishing gear when I go to the "big beach in the sky".
Thank you dad!!!
Old 12-12-2013, 09:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

My dad got me hooked! First trip in the salt at the age of 4 and hooked on fishing ever since. 21 years fishing and counting. Only been fishing without him less than a dozen times and yet he calls me an addict now! Thanks pops for introducing me to this sport and therapy I call my addiction. The old man still out fishes me and kicks my but with the old school electric reel in the deep water.

65 years young and still a beast!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	66618  
Old 12-12-2013, 09:21 PM
NJFishing.com Member

My dad and poppa took me out every weekend down on the metitakonk and pointplesant now I am taking my grandson ..I can think of anything better
Old 12-13-2013, 12:52 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

My dad. I grew up on shongom lake in morris county. I would catch minnows with a home made net at age four.Thanks dad I miss you.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

My dad actually left the gin mill to take me to captree black fishing in the early 1960s.My grandfather pulled lobster traps out of highlands but I just went for the ride...I also remember catching eels and then reusing them for striper bait around Fort Totten. At the time I didnt understand the theory of live bait at all...My son is hooked and I have plans for my grandchildren asap..