NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

How many going to fluke meeting - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 03-04-2024, 03:31 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default How many going to fluke meeting

So how many guys going to show up at the meeting Thursday evening ?

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 03-04-2024, 08:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: How many going to fluke meeting

I'll be on the webinar
Old 03-04-2024, 09:22 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Attending online, I'm convinced the decision is already made and they are just going through the steps. Many changes over the past 20 years, from 8 fish at 16.6 inches with a 156 day season, to this. Heard promises, attended meetings, rallies, donated $$$ to the cause, still getting hosed, still fishing. I'm also in on the State Trout Meeting Webinar scheduled on the same night, not to further divide or anything I'm sure.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:41 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I'll be there
I can promise you things have not been decided
Old 03-05-2024, 08:27 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Attending via webinar and for those of you who don’t know, pddmd ^^^ is one of the council members who gets to decide the regulations.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-05-2024, 09:26 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I agree with Gerry, PDDMD is one of the good guys. I'll say it up front, I'm not attending the meeting and here's my reason. We go through this process every year and the discussions which should matter most are never discussed, and that's what's best to nurse the fishery back to health and address egregious issues caused by outdated regulations used for the last two decades. No one ever discusses fisheries management which is the exact opposite of how fresh water fisheries are managed. These meetings, I'm sorry to say, don't accomplish what you'd hope they would. They're a requirement of MSA and if decisions haven't been made, when they are they'll be made as always for reasons that have nothing to do with the management of the stock. So where I agree an official decision hasn't been made, the foundation of that decision has and it has nothing to do with how many people attend the meeting in person or virtually or what those people have to say. This starts with the federal government having their heads in the sand and favoring commercial catch values and the lack of focus on actual fisheries management and the states are essentially forced to follow the trickle down effects of a federal system which bases their decisions on sectors, heavily slanted towards the commercial sector, and not what's best for the stocks under their management. I spend my time on matters that can benefit from my involvement, these meetings don't check that box. Some will say that's a defeatist attitude, history will support it's a realistic attitude. That's the frustration the general public and recreational community has with this process and it's well supported because basically every year we get screwed.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:00 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Comments submitted and will be attending via webinar.
Old 03-05-2024, 12:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I will wait for the sea bass meeting next year and be bringing 2 flasks and bail money.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:00 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Bill View Post
I agree with Gerry, PDDMD is one of the good guys. I'll say it up front, I'm not attending the meeting and here's my reason. We go through this process every year and the discussions which should matter most are never discussed, and that's what's best to nurse the fishery back to health and address egregious issues caused by outdated regulations used for the last two decades. No one ever discusses fisheries management which is the exact opposite of how fresh water fisheries are managed. These meetings, I'm sorry to say, don't accomplish what you'd hope they would. They're a requirement of MSA and if decisions haven't been made, when they are they'll be made as always for reasons that have nothing to do with the management of the stock. So where I agree an official decision hasn't been made, the foundation of that decision has and it has nothing to do with how many people attend the meeting in person or virtually or what those people have to say. This starts with the federal government having their heads in the sand and favoring commercial catch values and the lack of focus on actual fisheries management and the states are essentially forced to follow the trickle down effects of a federal system which bases their decisions on sectors, heavily slanted towards the commercial sector, and not what's best for the stocks under their management. I spend my time on matters that can benefit from my involvement, these meetings don't check that box. Some will say that's a defeatist attitude, history will support it's a realistic attitude. That's the frustration the general public and recreational community has with this process and it's well supported because basically every year we get screwed.
BB: Keep in mind this is as I am sure you are aware a NJMFC meeting and their obligation is to decide on the options dictated by ASMFC and MAMFC to be compliant so no reason not to weigh in on the options at this meeting.
The larger issue as you stated is on the federal level but we all can at least support the for hire, tackle shops and related service industries that could benefit most from the options dumped down to our state.
I opt for # 32 / 3 @ 18 / 145 days ,the longest season for economic and moral support to those NJ industries.

The Feds admit MRIP data on the recreational side is flawed up to 40% relative to NJ recreational effort, mortality and landings so it appears NJ recreational fishing for summer flounder has little to no proven effect on recruitment or biomass of the stock.
While I don't like the options for the overall stock this meeting is what's available for NJ at this given time and the rest is another battle which I agree we have been fighting way too long with little results on the Federal level.

Either way NJ Rec Fishermen should still make comments and attend the meeting to support the best option in their opinion so NJMFC can hear and make the best decision possible. I hope its what appears to be overwhelming support for option #32.

Having said all that I understand that the whole "keeping 18" females " is against rebuilding a stock in decline and agree with your opinion that protecting the spawn and further commercial regulation is mandatory just remain in my opinion its not this meeting.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:04 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dales529 View Post
BB: Keep in mind this is as I am sure you are aware a NJMFC meeting and their obligation is to decide on the options dictated by ASMFC and MAMFC to be compliant so no reason not to weigh in on the options at this meeting.
The larger issue as you stated is on the federal level but we all can at least support the for hire, tackle shops and related service industries that could benefit most from the options dumped down to our state.
I opt for # 32 / 3 @ 18 / 145 days ,the longest season for economic and moral support to those NJ industries.

The Feds admit MRIP data on the recreational side is flawed up to 40% relative to NJ recreational effort, mortality and landings so it appears NJ recreational fishing for summer flounder has little to no proven effect on recruitment or biomass of the stock.
While I don't like the options for the overall stock this meeting is what's available for NJ at this given time and the rest is another battle which I agree we have been fighting way too long with little results on the Federal level.

Either way NJ Rec Fishermen should still make comments and attend the meeting to support the best option in their opinion so NJMFC can hear and make the best decision possible. I hope its what appears to be overwhelming support for option #32.

Having said all that I understand that the whole "keeping 18" females " is against rebuilding a stock in decline and agree with your opinion that protecting the spawn and further commercial regulation is mandatory just remain in my opinion its not this meeting.
This meeting is about our access to the fishery while maintaining the 28% cut
All approved option meet the standard being imposed for rebuild .

So now it’s all about how we want the seasons access to break down .

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club