NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Ethanol In Boat Fuel to Increase - Action Needed - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 06-13-2015, 10:00 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Ethanol In Boat Fuel to Increase - Action Needed

As you all know, although ethanol is OK is cars, it causes major issues when used in fuel for boats. It does not store well and breaks down over time, it attracts moisture, breaks down components of your fuel system causing poor performance and major repairs.

Right now E10 is the standard mandate so 10% ethanol. They want to increase that to E15 so 15%...

IMO this is not good for cars since it cuts down you gas mileage and is especially not good for boats for the reasons mentioned above.

If you agree then go here and express your concern:

https://secure2.convio.net/asaf/site...rAction&id=306

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 06-13-2015, 10:02 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Ethanol In Boat Fuel to Increase - Action Needed

A lot of warranties get voided over 10%

You would think marine manufactures would lobby hard against it

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 06-13-2015, 10:11 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

You are wrong. Oil monopoly puts this out as scare tactic to maintain their monopoly; American Petroleum Insitute has been attacking ethanol since 1906. aPI's board is now Saudi princes
Do real research
Brazil has been running in much higher ethanol for years. It's cleaner, cheaper and home grown so it's good for jobs, economy, national security and the environment
We need higher blends not lower
Don't be a shill for middle eastern oil interests; George Bush sign into law the Renewable Fuel Standards which mandate blending ethanol in gasoline at increasingly higher percentages. He is not known as a climate change evangelist he did this so we could stop fighting middle eastern ears to protect oil and our economy
That's all for now but do no take as blind faith what you read and hear
Old 06-13-2015, 12:24 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntzu View Post
You are wrong. Oil monopoly puts this out as scare tactic to maintain their monopoly; American Petroleum Insitute has been attacking ethanol since 1906. aPI's board is now Saudi princes
Do real research
Brazil has been running in much higher ethanol for years. It's cleaner, cheaper and home grown so it's good for jobs, economy, national security and the environment
We need higher blends not lower
Don't be a shill for middle eastern oil interests; George Bush sign into law the Renewable Fuel Standards which mandate blending ethanol in gasoline at increasingly higher percentages. He is not known as a climate change evangelist he did this so we could stop fighting middle eastern ears to protect oil and our economy
That's all for now but do no take as blind faith what you read and hear
Great for cars shit, for the marine engines
Old 06-13-2015, 12:47 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

So who is wrong here?? You think more ethanol is good for boats?? If so, you are wrong.

Ethanol has and or had it's place when we were not producing as much oil as we are now since it was part of the plan to reduce our dependence on foreign oil. Now that we are the largest oil producing country in the world http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ertaking-saudi ethanol is not as important as it once was.

I guess an argument could be made that ethanol is more environmentally friendly but that's a whole different discussion.

The point of my post is that ethanol and boats don't mix well and there are a lot of older boats still in service that were not designed to run on it.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 06-14-2015, 11:45 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
As you all know, although ethanol is OK is cars
It is?

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 06-30-2015, 05:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

TTT:

RFA Encourages Anglers to Comment on EPA Ethanol Increase
New Gretna, NJ - The EPA has announced its plan to increase ethanol volume requirements which will push the total ethanol volumes to record highs. Industry projections estimate that as soon as next year the so-called "blend wall" will break. This means more and more ethanol will be on the market, and ethanol-free fuel will be harder to find. This is a significant danger for marine engines which are not designed or legally allowed to run on higher blends of ethanol, like E15. Anglers and boat owners should be concerned about the potential damage that E15 can cause to engines and fuel system components.

The government has opened a public comment period until July 27th. RFA is encouraging its members to weigh-in on this pending regulation through the following action campaign created by the National Marine Manufacturers Association, the lead industry group that has been working on the ethanol issue. To oppose this proposal and submit your comments to the EPA.

http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Lm1Hl...1fNJHTyptHuQ==

It is critical that all boat owners speak up and oppose the government's increasing mandate.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:10 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

So if your warranty is voided you have to pay out of pocket for repairs. Why would manufacturers not love that? Repair places make more money than ever. More people buy replacements.

I would think manufacturers are secretly lobbying for E15 or more to come into play. Maybe I'm a little skeptical, but I dont see any downside to Manufacturers.

And increased cost get passed along to consumer since ALL manufacturers have to do it.

Again, what's their downside to E-20 even?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer4reel View Post
A lot of warranties get voided over 10%

You would think marine manufactures would lobby hard against it
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 07-03-2015, 02:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Frank View Post
So if your warranty is voided you have to pay out of pocket for repairs. Why would manufacturers not love that?

[I would think manufacturers are secretly lobbying for E15 or more to come into play.
Reputation. Any manufacturers goal is brand loyalty. Customers arent back if the product wont make it through it warranty period.

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 07-12-2015, 11:04 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Ethanol Increase - Menedez Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
As you all know, although ethanol is OK is cars, it causes major issues when used in fuel for boats. It does not store well and breaks down over time, it attracts moisture, breaks down components of your fuel system causing poor performance and major repairs.

Right now E10 is the standard mandate so 10% ethanol. They want to increase that to E15 so 15%...
IMO this is not good for cars since it cuts down you gas mileage and is especially not good for boats for the reasons mentioned above.
If you agree then go here and express your concern:
https://secure2.convio.net/asaf/site...rAction&id=306
I wrote to Rep Menendez and got back the following, FWIW;

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns regarding the use of E15 gasoline and its effects on older motor vehicle engines, particularly in the marine industry. Your opinion is very important to me, and I appreciate the opportunity to respond to you on this critical issue.

As you may know, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recently proposed its Renewable Fuel Standard for 2014, 2015, and 2016. The volume of ethanol proposed for these years may increase the use of fuel beyond the E10 blend wall. Currently, E15 gasoline, containing up to 15% ethanol, is conditionally approved for vehicles and engines produced in Model Year 2001 or later. However, it may only be sold at facilities that have a misfueling mitigation plan in place to prevent its use in vehicles that are not properly equipped to handle the higher levels of ethanol, including marine engines. I would encourage you to reach out to the EPA directly, as they are accepting public comments on this proposal through July 27, 2015.

While some citizens support these regulations in order to reduce pollution and to improve our energy security, others, like you, have expressed concerns about the potentially corrosive impact of renewable fuels such as ethanol on automotive engines, especially those of smaller and older vehicles. I have also heard concerns about corn ethanol's environmental impact and contribution to high food prices. Please be assured that I will keep your thoughts squarely in mind as I continue to closely monitor this developing situation, and fight to move the United States towards a safe, sustainable, and green energy future.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me again if I can be of further assistance. I invite you to visit my website (http://menendez.senate.gov) to learn more about how I am standing up for New Jersey families in the United States Senate.