NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Sheppard Lake - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-14-2022, 02:00 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Sheppard Lake

Anyone been to Sheppard since they opened back up after the pandemic shutdown?
Thinking about bringing my daughter there this weekend if it seems worth it. She really wants to get into fishing and I want her to catch some fish. Seems like a good size lake to hit with my boat. Haven't been there in 15+ years.
Any info is appreciated.
Old 06-14-2022, 03:05 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Sheppard Lake

There wasn't much of a shutdown per se, more like no facilities, bathroom, boat rentals, snack bar and definitely no swimming. Been there a number of times. If you haven't in 15 years it may seem entirely different. On the one hand, the no swimming rule (which was originally because they couldn't hire enough lifeguards) limited the numbers which made fishing a better experience. On the other hand, since they eliminated the entry fee and the BBQ brigades seem less concerned with swimming, I would expect nice weather weekends to be crowded and noisy. Further, they make nice $ from the boat and paddleboard rentals, so expect company. Outside of that, it can be a pleasant fishing experience in the more shaded areas in the back of the lake, particularly for a newbie, lily pads and some very shallow spots, notwithstanding. Should be plentiful crappie, perch, LMB and pickerel. If you decide to go, maybe you can post about your trip. No gas engines of course but you already knew that. ;-) Tight lines.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:44 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Since you have a boat there are other options to launch somewhere that doesn't have such crowds and may be closed if you get there too late because the lots are full. Fifteen years ago, there weren't many kayakers now the launch lots can fill up pretty quickly. The State parks are usually good early or late in the season or when there is inclement weather. IMHO
Old 06-16-2022, 08:16 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Sounds good. Thanks for the insight. I used to do well here when i was a teenager fishing with my dad but that was a while ago. Hopefully its still a decent spot. If i dont make it there this weekend ill defiantly be giving it shot soon. Ill post an update when i do.
Old 06-16-2022, 01:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

always a nice little lake, with clean water and some nice fish.. also always plagued by its close proximity to north Jersey urban centers.. Crowds were crazy there on weekends even 50 years ago.. loud music and partying,, I would go weekdays. Especially on a monday if I could swing it...
Old 06-19-2022, 09:32 AM
NJFishing.com Member

So i checked this out on Friday morning. The ecosystem is certainly different that it was the last time i visited. Water is much clearer which has led to much more vegetation. Overall i wasn't impressed. I had high hopes when i arrived and saw a ton of baby bass swimming by the launch. We stayed until we got poured on around noon, then headed out with only 3 fish to our credit. We headed to Monksville next and surprisingly did better there with 6 fish in a few hours. There was only one other fishing boat and one kayak at Sheppard. Monksville was a zoo in the afternoon, but it didn't discourage the fish much.