NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Dual 9.9s-legal on the Valley/Spruce Run? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 07-15-2014, 09:00 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Dual 9.9s-legal on the Valley/Spruce Run?

I caught a local (I live between the two reservoirs) Craigslist ad from a guy selling a 16' boat with dual 9.9s-pretty sweet little setup. I contacted the guy and asked if he was ever given a hard time on either reservoir. He said no and that he's used both motors for years. This is how the state parks code reads with regard to HP restrictions:

Quote:
7:2-8.3 Powerboat size restrictions
(a) Powerboats, where permitted on non-tidal waters, may temporarily be further restricted as to maximum horsepower and minimum and maximum boat length, such restrictions being determined by the Superintendent or designee based on use and safety factors.

(b) A person shall not operate a power boat which has a motor size greater than 10 horsepower on the Spruce Run, Round Valley, or Monksville Reservoirs.
It's kind of splitting hairs, but there's nothing referencing the number of motors, the maximum HP of the vessel, etc... Just motor size alone. I'm not looking to go nuts out there, but having 20 HP on tap to move a heavy 18' plywood boat with four people in it would be nice. Especially if the wind kicks up and we need to get to the ramp in a hurry.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:57 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Dual 9.9s-legal on the Valley/Spruce Run?

SInce you're asking you already know its a problem.

ALso 1st paragraph gives them descretion based on "use and safety" to kick you out and ticket you.

You know you're asking for trouble? LOL Of course he said no trouble ever happens since he wants you to buy it.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 07-15-2014, 10:04 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Frank View Post
SInce you're asking you already know its a problem.
I'm only asking based on the experience of someone else who claimed it wasn't. I'm trying to figure out if this guy is for real or if he's just telling people what they want to hear in order to get his boat sold. I will say this, I can't see why anyone would mount dual 9.9s for any reason other than to legally get around the HP restrictions. It would make no sense to go to all that trouble to run in unrestricted waters. I guess an alternate theory could be that the guy put the duals on it, put in at Round Valley, got run off by the rangers, and is now trying to cut his losses and unload the boat?
Old 07-15-2014, 04:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I have seen more than a few guys utilizing that set up on the valley
I think it fits in the gray area as of now because not everyone is doing it.
Just realize that they also keep talking about changing those lakes to 4 stroke only,
so if doing this NEW I would be looking at 4 strokes to do it

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 07-16-2014, 07:38 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have had my twin 9.9 motors for years without a problem. It does violate the rules but I have never had any issues. However, I do try to avoid running both engines around the boat ramp. I even changed my carbs and reed plates to make them twin 15s.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:09 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygaff View Post
I have had my twin 9.9 motors for years without a problem. It does violate the rules but I have never had any issues. However, I do try to avoid running both engines around the boat ramp. I even changed my carbs and reed plates to make them twin 15s.
It seems like it's not as uncommon as I thought. I'm still debating on whether or not to do it. My reasoning is that I could run one motor on RV/SR most of the time but have the option of firing the second one up in case I need/want to. Then when I'm on the Delaware or if I take the boat to Hopatcong/Cranberry, etc... I can run both all of the time.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:46 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I've only been fishing round valley for a couple months, I have an 18ftr. 9.9 kicker & 90 hp, I asked a ranger if I was out fishing and bad weather came up fast would they ticket me if I used my big motor. His response was he'd rather I ran in on my big motor than him have to come out to get me. I wouldn't hesitate regardless to run in on my big motor under dangerous circumstances tho.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Different CO's will give u different answers. I too saw the guy w the twin 9.9s who muskie fishes/trolls on LH last year and theres a guy whos selling a G3 w twin T8s on Clist. I saw that guy on RV last year and the Officer said he would ticket any boat running 2 engines. Others have done it and said it was fine w officers. I think u are better off w a single 9.9 and convert it to a 15/20 if you rly wanna have that backup power or for larger lakes. Realize 2 9.9s or even a 20 will probably NOT get a dcent size 17/18' boat on plane, unless its very light. I do know that the guys who musky fish w twins use it for boat control and for high speed trolling, they often troll 5mph for long lengths of time. When u have a smaller boat and the kicker is off to the side w a tie arm off main motor ur boat control is poor, I have that setup and Ive fished in many setup like this. I use a 80# terrova ipilot on the bow and just lock kicker in going dead straight, and use the remote to steer w the bow motor. If you were ticketed for this you could easily beat it in court, they would never prosecute it fully its a grey area in the books