NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

How many going to fluke meeting - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 03-05-2024, 06:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: How many going to fluke meeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer4reel View Post
This meeting is about our access to the fishery while maintaining the 28% cut
All approved option meet the standard being imposed for rebuild .

So now it’s all about how we want the seasons access to break down .

Exactly: Apologize if I wasn't clear on that.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dales529 View Post
Exactly: Apologize if I wasn't clear on that.
You were on access portion ,
But it’s also meeting the rebuild requirements

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 03-05-2024, 06:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Dales and Hammer, I agree with both your posts. And Dales I know the problem starts at the federal level and as I said trickles down to the states from there. I've been to too many of these meetings where the voice of the recreational angler is essentially ignored with decisions made counter to what overwhelmingly was favored at the meeting. And we usually find out later it was a handful of people involved in the decision making process with a completely different agenda than the overall recreational angling community.

I'm not suggesting people don't attend, I guess maybe I'm just beaten down by the number of times our opinions have fallen on deaf ears which I know is what many (not all) involved in this process, both at a federal and state level, want.

I hope the majority gets what they want, just don't be surprised if a different option at the last minute comes out of left field. No one ever sees it coming.
Old 03-06-2024, 10:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Someone help me understand the logic here. Option 32 is 3 fish at 18" for 145 days. Option 24 is for 3 fish, one a micro slot again between 17" and 18" and 2 over 18" with a 89 day season or 56 days less of fishing effort or an ~40% shorter season. EVERYTHING about recreational catch and MRIP is based on fishing effort so we have 56 days less fishing effort, same possession limit albeit one fish a slot and the projected reduction in catch is higher for option 24 by only 8/10th of a percent from 28.2% to 29%!

How do the models remove 56 days from a season, still keep a three fish possession limit and the only difference is one allows the third fish to be over 18" and the other the third fish has to be between 17" and 18", which will probably result in more fish killed being discarded, and there's only an 8/10th of a percent difference in projected catch!

Compare the same between option 32 and 23 with three fish at 17.5" and 41 less days in the season. Everyone complained this year about how hard it is to find fish between 17" and 18" yet 41 days less in a season by giving up a half inch in size minimum equates to the same conservational equivalency as option 32. Lose 30% of the season for three size fish that are hard to come by and the percentage reduction in catch mirrors option 32. I'd love to see how these models work because on the surface from a relative perspective they don't make any sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2024 regulations.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	171136  
Old 03-07-2024, 05:30 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Bill View Post
Someone help me understand the logic here. Option 32 is 3 fish at 18" for 145 days. Option 24 is for 3 fish, one a micro slot again between 17" and 18" and 2 over 18" with a 89 day season or 56 days less of fishing effort or an ~40% shorter season. EVERYTHING about recreational catch and MRIP is based on fishing effort so we have 56 days less fishing effort, same possession limit albeit one fish a slot and the projected reduction in catch is higher for option 24 by only 8/10th of a percent from 28.2% to 29%!

How do the models remove 56 days from a season, still keep a three fish possession limit and the only difference is one allows the third fish to be over 18" and the other the third fish has to be between 17" and 18", which will probably result in more fish killed being discarded, and there's only an 8/10th of a percent difference in projected catch!

Compare the same between option 32 and 23 with three fish at 17.5" and 41 less days in the season. Everyone complained this year about how hard it is to find fish between 17" and 18" yet 41 days less in a season by giving up a half inch in size minimum equates to the same conservational equivalency as option 32. Lose 30% of the season for three size fish that are hard to come by and the percentage reduction in catch mirrors option 32. I'd love to see how these models work because on the surface from a relative perspective they don't make any sense.

Add in totals are based on tonnage , so 17 1/2” fish weigh less .
So you should be able to harvest more. .

So has to be based on throwing back more fish (which are heavier ) to find the shorter fish .

We have said if for years , throw back 10 shorts with their 40% mortality and you over fished by 30 % and didn’t take a fish home .

Then throw in the belief that the majority of the male fish stay well offshore all year . Meaning most fish targeted here will be females no matter what the size is .

Old 03-07-2024, 08:04 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Hammer I know a 17 1/2" or 17" fish usually weigh less but again that depends on its gender and the slot will cause higher discard mortality while in theory a straight 17 1/2" should reduce discard mortality. The decrease in fishing effort by 56 or 41 days should cause substantially greater catch reductions than what the models are calculating relative to a straight 3 fish at 18". 17" or 17 1/2" don't weigh 30% - 40% less than 18" inch fish. I especially don't understand the marginal difference in catch reduction between options 32 and 23 with a season shortened by 41 days or 30%, a 1/2 inch reduction in size minimum with 30% less days to fish should produce significantly greater catch reductions than a fraction of a percentage.

The other point in you post regarding males hanging further offshore. Recreational is an inshore fishery and from a relative standpoint will have equal impact on all options whether we're harvesting mostly makes or females. Commercial's catch is highly geared around spring, fall and winter when the stock is schooled up so they're harvesting more females than males at that time. I had a few friends years back working in processing plants and asked them how many fluke in the fall coming in are females versus males. Females have to make the migration offshore just like males. Their answers were in September and October, the majority of fish they processed were females loaded with eggs.

Last edited by Broad Bill; 03-07-2024 at 08:08 AM..
Old 03-07-2024, 08:40 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Just a thought
We just spent 2 years focusing our catch on a small component of the fishery
17"-18" fish
That will greatly impact the expected success of landing 18"-19"fish this year
Dropping down to a slot sized fish will be impacting a year class that we have been releasing throughout
Just a thought as it is a question I have asked earlier

I always think of the quote...
"There are 3 types of lies. Lies, damn lies, and statistics.."
Old 03-07-2024, 08:50 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pddmd View Post
Just a thought
We just spent 2 years focusing our catch on a small component of the fishery
17"-18" fish
That will greatly impact the expected success of landing 18"-19"fish this year
Dropping down to a slot sized fish will be impacting a year class that we have been releasing throughout
Just a thought as it is a question I have asked earlier

I always think of the quote...
"There are 3 types of lies. Lies, damn lies, and statistics.."
absolutely, but hopefully all the 20-22 fish we threw back the last 2 years make up the difference .

Would have been nice to see a longer season for 17” size limit to come into play .
IMO not worth losing 12 weeks if fishing the next 2 years .
Hopefully everything adjusts itself after this coming season .

Old 03-07-2024, 10:31 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

The 2 year plan is a huge reason why I will vote the way I do. I wish I wasn't as cynical as I am, but I think I am naive to believe that a relaxation of Sea Bass regulations are coming next year. If we don't push for a long fluke season now, the gap in September '25 could be untenable. Party/Charter boats, bait and tackle shops will not survive a gap of more than a few days. Fluke and Sea Bass drive the bus. The eventual plan is to handle Fluke, Sea Bass, and Porgy at the same time. But for now we have to handle things this way.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:08 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by pddmd View Post
The 2 year plan is a huge reason why I will vote the way I do. I wish I wasn't as cynical as I am, but I think I am naive to believe that a relaxation of Sea Bass regulations are coming next year. If we don't push for a long fluke season now, the gap in September '25 could be untenable. Party/Charter boats, bait and tackle shops will not survive a gap of more than a few days. Fluke and Sea Bass drive the bus. The eventual plan is to handle Fluke, Sea Bass, and Porgy at the same time. But for now we have to handle things this way.
Agreed. I'll trade higher sizes limits for a longer season every time. To me and I think a lot of others here, it's about access. We want access to the resource for as many days as possible so we at least have an opportunity to go out and fish for something.

I know the NJ Council's hands are tied on Seabass liberalization. A real shame that we don't get some relief from the fisheries managers there..

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area