NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Wire line trolling maintenance - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 04-12-2016, 09:29 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Wire line trolling maintenance

I wipe down my monel wire every season end with WD-40, but was wondering what everyones thoughts are on when / if that needs to be replaced. Assuming no kinks, etc, whats the useful life in your opinion?

Having said that, I replace the leader each season from the wire to the lure swivel, but are you all re-tying the wire to backing connection each year? Anyone using braid as their backing?
Thanks
Old 04-12-2016, 10:15 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Wire line trolling maintenance

There are a few posts on this topic under the tackle section. The process you mentioned is fine. That way should preserve it for numerous seasons. And yes many of us have made the switch over to braid. It's a lot more user friendly, but the cons are you need to add weight to get your lures down to the desired depths.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:34 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I use Dacron, probably 50 pound as the backing. I am probably going on 5 years without replacing, probably not very smart but it hasn't broke yet. I have had some bad snags along the way and the 40 pound leader to the spoon has always broke. I take off every year (or every other depending on whether or not I get to it) and clean/oil the reel and spool. I have plastic spools my dad machined to store the wire while not in use, it attaches to a drill for convenience. I dont think you can go wrong with braid or dacron as a backing. I have 2 rods with 300 yards and 2 with 450 yards of wire.

28' Henriques
Old 04-12-2016, 11:05 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thanks OT.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:32 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtime Fishing View Post
I use Dacron, probably 50 pound as the backing. I am probably going on 5 years without replacing, probably not very smart but it hasn't broke yet. I have had some bad snags along the way and the 40 pound leader to the spoon has always broke. I take off every year (or every other depending on whether or not I get to it) and clean/oil the reel and spool. I have plastic spools my dad machined to store the wire while not in use, it attaches to a drill for convenience. I dont think you can go wrong with braid or dacron as a backing. I have 2 rods with 300 yards and 2 with 450 yards of wire.
Is that yards or feet? Never will you use 450 yards of wire and it would take a hughe reel to hold that much.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:39 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Yeah, I meant feet not yards
Old 04-18-2016, 03:34 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

FEET** of course, sorry for late reply

28' Henriques