NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Looks Like Fluke Option 5 Passed - Page 6 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations This board is closed for posting but will serve as an archieve for all Fisheries Management and Regulations posts from other boards.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Looks Like Fluke Option 5 Passed

This year I will conduct an experiment. Every fluke trip I work (not sure how many that will be) I will write down the number of 17.5-18 inch keepers I measure (Just me, not the other deckhands). I will also write down how many people deck 6 fish over 18 inches in one trip (or even two trips on the same day). After I am done working fluke for the year I will post up the numbers and we can all compare.

I invite other people to do the same thing. Keep track of how many trips each summer you catch more than 5 fluke over 18 inches versus how many times each summer you catch a 17.5 inch fish (catch and could keep, not release and cull because you're looking for that 15 lber) and how many times you realistically would have gone fluking in those 3 weeks that the season would have been open under option 2. I'm not saying that I am certain 5 will be better for us, I'm actually quite interested to see how this turns out keepers wise. I'm sure 2 would have worked better for some people like TNT. I'm interested in whether 2 would have worked better for the majority of people.

I commend the SSFFF and RFA for fighting for us and will continue to donate. They get us the pounds, WE, not some big monstrous government agency, decides how it's used through public comment (we don't have total control, but as evidenced by the meeting on thursday, public comment matters)
Old 03-02-2012, 02:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Typical goverment crap, pay more get less.Gas is up slip fees up bait is up tackle is up stock is rebuilt but we get less fish what a joke.We should be used to it by now.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Ryan's Fish Log
That's a heck of an idea Ryan. I'll be following suit. Got my buddies in on it too. We will be logging every keeper Fluke we catch on our boat this season (and any time we hit a PB) Let's see how the numbers stack up.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by toghead
Anyone else out there feel like a fool for joining RFA and SSSf? Never did i think they would have opposing views! Oh well,i guess i'll be able to buy more jigs with the money saved. Member SSSF,former member RFA.
While I understand people's frustrations not just this time but every time regs are chosen let me just clarify something:

SSFFF has said since day one that we are NOT about an individual state's regulations. SSFFF did NOT take ANY position on fluke regulations for NJ or any other state. SSFFF has NEVER given ANY official or unofficial position on ANY specific regulations for ANY state, NJ included.

Our goal was to make sure there ARE regulations from which to choose in the first place as opposed to simply being shut down or given next to nothing in the way of being allowed to fish for EVERYONE that fishes for Fluke, not just in NJ.

While those of us that started the organization may have come from NJ we have always focused our efforts on the science and politics of FLUKE, period. Not NJ fluke, not NY fluke, etc.

I know no one was knocking SSFFF or anything like that, I just wanted to clarify that there were not two groups in opposition because SSFFF did NOT advocate for ANY option for Fluke regs....we never have and never will.

While individuals who may be part of any number of organizations, including SSFFF, may have spoken in favor of one option or another I can assure you that no one was speaking for SSFFF.

As I and others from SSFFF have said before: "No point in arguing over how you like your eggs cooked if the government is going to take away all of your eggs. Our job is to make sure we have enough eggs to actually debate the best way to cook them!"
Old 03-02-2012, 03:00 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The new regs sound fine to me. I actually thought that 17", 4 or 5 fish would be good. Going to 17 would allow more tourist types to put together a decent take home catch. I feel that it turned out fair for everyone, and I'm gladto see the southern boys getting a smaller fish.
The Duke of Fluke
Old 03-02-2012, 03:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyAngler
That's a heck of an idea Ryan. I'll be following suit. Got my buddies in on it too. We will be logging every keeper Fluke we catch on our boat this season (and any time we hit a PB) Let's see how the numbers stack up.

Andy S. would be proud of us keeping a logbook .

Tony, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone has done a study like this before. I'm not looking at the health of the stock, more at the amount of fish that we take home.

I chose to look at #of people who get more than 5 18 inchers because it doesn't matter how many fish you're allowed if you don't catch that number anyways. They could allow us 20 fish at 18", it wouldn't really matter as a substantial portion of our customers can't (or dont, for me personally its cant ) catch even one. I don't doubt that more fluke are over 18" than are 17.5-18", but I think that realistically so few people catch over 5 at 18" on a regular basis that this merits a more serious look than just "what we remember". The only way we truly "lose" fish is if someone throws them over the side from your cooler after you catch them that day. If we don't catch them to begin with, we can't lose them. I would be very interested in seeing a log from a boat like the Monger who does very well with fluke and how these regulations end up affecting him.

Last edited by Ryan W; 03-02-2012 at 03:14 PM..
Old 03-02-2012, 03:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

im going to go in the river, and full and entire 14ft flat bottom with fluke, then drive up and down the river throwing them back dead, wonder if that will change the data? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Old 03-02-2012, 03:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfishingusa
im going to go in the river, and full and entire 14ft flat bottom with fluke, then drive up and down the river throwing them back dead, wonder if that will change the data? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Just don't keep any short ones on a party boat LMFAO
Old 03-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life's A Beach
HA HA HA

Sorry Dave

I'm so used to changing your loyal customer's posts to "non sponsor brielle shop".......it just happened

couple that with the time of the post and i'm sure u will 4 give me
No problem Mike...lol
Old 03-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Site Sponsor

I have now read through this and I also need to say something.

The RFA & RFA-NJ did not offer an opinion to any of the options that were given. If you were at the meeting, you would know that no one represented the RFA or RFA-NJ.

I did voice my support for Option 5 at the meeting and in the poll on his site, but not in an official capacity for the RFA, just my personal opinion as a charter captain.

But for you guys that did not show up to the meeting to claim that the RFA gave an official opinion about any option is TOTALLY FALSE.

RFA-NJ Member www.rfanj.org
SSFFF Contributer