NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Last Week’s Steelhead Trip / Pulaski, NY - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-23-2023, 01:53 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Last Week’s Steelhead Trip / Pulaski, NY

Made the trek up North last week to the Salmon River in NY, left Wednesday stayed till Sunday.

Got up there about 2 pm, a little tired from the drive. Saw guys at the Altmar Bridge in the lower fly zone whacking them. A sign of good things to come ? Read on……

Thursday was up early for the drift boat trip, launched at Altmar, water was at 350 CFS, and went to the Schoolhouse Pool. Probably the best day of steelheading I ever experienced. Were probably 8 driftboats in the hole and everyone got fish. Even the 10-15 guys on the bank hit fish. Went 4 for stopped counting after 10. Consistent action all morning, everyone got at least 1 hookup. They ate egg sacs, pink worms, brown stonefly nymphs, got 2 on a rubber stonefly nymph ( like all rubber, like a worm ) my guide had on a 1/32 jig head, wax worms on a small jig, regular small jigs as well. I tell ya, when these fish take off, shake their heads and take to the air, that’s the addiction. Stayed in the pool till 12, last boat to leave.

Then floated thru the Wire Hole, nothing. Then thru Ellis Cove, nothing. Then tru the Bovines. About 3 or so boats in that stretch. One guy had a huge steelie on, I only saw the tail that looked like a striper, all the boats were watching, and suddenly “SNAP” and many expletives after. The 6 lb leader snapped and the fish was gone. I felt bad as well….

Onto the Trestle Pool, was kind to me got 2 on a sorta jig / stonefly / rubber leg fly the guide tied. Chrome bullets both of them. Great runs and jumps. Then to the Hemlock Hole, Island Hole and last the Refrigerator Hole, nothing.

The best day of steelhead fishing I ever had…..

Friday - slept in and fished from 10 to 2 again in the Schoolhouse, on foot wading this time. What a difference a day makes. Total washout, rain, rain, rain. Only saw 2 fish pulled up. Headed in at 2 pm, didn’t beat the skunk.

Saturday - up early again for the drift boat, water staying at 350 CFS, went to the Schoolhouse Pool again. Went 2 for 3, not a lot of action like Thursday, a few guys got into fish, most didn’t. Pink worms and egg sacs is what they wanted, ignored all else. Did the rest of the float mentioned above after the Schoolhouse, nothing. Was happy with the 2 I got. Around 2 at the end of the float started snowing. That Lake Effect snow came down. Boy did it come down.

Left Sunday morning at around 8:30 am, had to drive through that damn Lake Effect snow on 81 South for about 15 minutes. After that a smooth ride home….

Great trip. Enjoy the pictures….
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C00D5BFE-D5E7-4915-8715-3E22B331D2E8.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	163139   Click image for larger version

Name:	8D3D391D-33AB-4DDE-8AF1-DAA2129C5661.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	163140   Click image for larger version

Name:	319BC9D2-73A1-49D3-8A81-49EE7EF43286.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	163141   Click image for larger version

Name:	DA8F452F-9CD9-4D66-8D6C-E0CDFAB2789E.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	163142  
Old 03-23-2023, 03:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Last Week’s Steelhead Trip / Pulaski, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Brasco View Post
Made the trek up North last week to the Salmon River in NY, left Wednesday stayed till Sunday.

Got up there about 2 pm, a little tired from the drive. Saw guys at the Altmar Bridge in the lower fly zone whacking them. A sign of good things to come ? Read on……

Thursday was up early for the drift boat trip, launched at Altmar, water was at 350 CFS, and went to the Schoolhouse Pool. Probably the best day of steelheading I ever experienced. Were probably 8 driftboats in the hole and everyone got fish. Even the 10-15 guys on the bank hit fish. Went 4 for stopped counting after 10. Consistent action all morning, everyone got at least 1 hookup. They ate egg sacs, pink worms, brown stonefly nymphs, got 2 on a rubber stonefly nymph ( like all rubber, like a worm ) my guide had on a 1/32 jig head, wax worms on a small jig, regular small jigs as well. I tell ya, when these fish take off, shake their heads and take to the air, that’s the addiction. Stayed in the pool till 12, last boat to leave.

Then floated thru the Wire Hole, nothing. Then thru Ellis Cove, nothing. Then tru the Bovines. About 3 or so boats in that stretch. One guy had a huge steelie on, I only saw the tail that looked like a striper, all the boats were watching, and suddenly “SNAP” and many expletives after. The 6 lb leader snapped and the fish was gone. I felt bad as well….

Onto the Trestle Pool, was kind to me got 2 on a sorta jig / stonefly / rubber leg fly the guide tied. Chrome bullets both of them. Great runs and jumps. Then to the Hemlock Hole, Island Hole and last the Refrigerator Hole, nothing.

The best day of steelhead fishing I ever had…..

Friday - slept in and fished from 10 to 2 again in the Schoolhouse, on foot wading this time. What a difference a day makes. Total washout, rain, rain, rain. Only saw 2 fish pulled up. Headed in at 2 pm, didn’t beat the skunk.

Saturday - up early again for the drift boat, water staying at 350 CFS, went to the Schoolhouse Pool again. Went 2 for 3, not a lot of action like Thursday, a few guys got into fish, most didn’t. Pink worms and egg sacs is what they wanted, ignored all else. Did the rest of the float mentioned above after the Schoolhouse, nothing. Was happy with the 2 I got. Around 2 at the end of the float started snowing. That Lake Effect snow came down. Boy did it come down.

Left Sunday morning at around 8:30 am, had to drive through that damn Lake Effect snow on 81 South for about 15 minutes. After that a smooth ride home….

Great trip. Enjoy the pictures….
Nice
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 03-23-2023, 03:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Great read and report! thanks!
Old 03-23-2023, 08:53 PM
Site Sponsor

Nice going! Good looking fish!
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 03-24-2023, 10:20 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Good stuff man! Going up that way in a few weeks to give it a try, hope to have a similar report