NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Favorite combo for Mojos 16 oz - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 04-20-2016, 06:49 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Favorite combo for Mojos 16 oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
All good choices above but for trolling I prefer lever drag reels since you can adjust the drag to a lighter setting and let the fish run with it then move it to the strike setting and go to your preset drag setting.

Not possible on a star drag reel since the drag is either fully engaged or you are in free spool. Most star drag reels do have a line tension adjustment but when you are pulling heavy stuff or lures that pull hard its never enough tension to keep line from coming off the reel....
Have to agree Jerry after using both. My "go to" are the Avets for this and they have yet to fail. Also have both set ups with wire and braid with mono top shot for troll.
Supporter and Member of RFA/NJ
IGFA Member
www.sharkbite-bucktails.com
Old 05-04-2016, 11:28 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Favorite combo for Mojos 16 oz

For mojos ( granted i get away with 8oz) I use a Bogan fish poison 7' with a Penn International 975. Very light, versatile setup for all kinds of striper fishing. Ive bait fished with fairly heavy lead (eels, chunks, clams), live lined, and trolled mojos and stretches with it with no problems whatsoever. Even vertical jigged heavy diamonds with it with success. Its like a do everything setup. light weight and fun setup especially with only 30lb braid and 60lb leader. Have never had a problem with only 30lb braid as well, just make sure my drag is set properly before sticking it in the out rodder. Its night and day trolling (a lot more fun) with this setup after putting away the 113hsp with 100 yards of wire last fall (the umbrella setup i use) which is nothing short of a full body workout to fish with. Its like bringing the fish in on a winch.