NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Resevoir Fishing - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-06-2017, 12:16 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Resevoir Fishing

Sometimes a good bottom jig or a tube. Work that bottom. Or a vertical jig

Also the drop shot sometimes gets me for deep water. Had a bad skunk up in ny state and I dropped shotted a shiner. Didn't lose rigs and hammered em)
Old 09-06-2017, 09:24 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwp2101 View Post
come to think of it i have never had great luck this time of yr bassin' around the full moon. one exception was one yr up in maine around a frog hatch-- the topwater was on like donkey kong
Oh Man that sounds amazing! Love topwater frogging!!

"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths"
Old 09-06-2017, 09:26 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJerzyG View Post
I went there for the first time myself recently. Intended to go after some broodstock kitties but I should have scouted it first. Couldn't even find a place to park let alone figure out how to get the boat in the water, lol. Pulled in, pulled out and hit plan B!
I was the first car in the parking lot so didn't have that problem but when I came out the lot was Packed! must be because that NS is renting paddles out there.

"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths"
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyHD View Post
Sorry.....fished the Haledon reservoir in Franklin Lakes. The wind ended up dying down and turned out to be a nice warm day but no bass action. Saw some kids catching some sunnys but I was looking for the lunkers.

I didn't throw any Cranks but just read that might be a good choice in rocky waters?
I went on Haledon res a few times this summer, never had any luck there either. I was talking to some guys shore fishing and they all said that its rare to get anything big in that body of water. Same for sheppard pond in Ringwood, always strike out there.
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23cardinal View Post
Sometimes a good bottom jig or a tube. Work that bottom. Or a vertical jig

Also the drop shot sometimes gets me for deep water. Had a bad skunk up in ny state and I dropped shotted a shiner. Didn't lose rigs and hammered em)
Never tried such a thing. Maybe the bass were in deeper water. I'm still a rookie at the rocky water and appreciate all the feedback from you gents.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:09 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Rocky structure is perfect to ultra light/ finesse bounce z man trd tubes on 6-8 lb fluoro. Irresistible to smallies
Old 09-06-2017, 02:57 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Surprised that there's still sunnies in it, considering the bucket brigade pounding it was taking the last 2 times I was there. I don't have any luck there, but never went full force either (I was just walking the trails with my wife and brought along a rod to cast here and there )

I know one guy that does OK there on a kayak, and I mean he does JUST OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJerzyG View Post
I went there for the first time myself recently. Intended to go after some broodstock kitties but I should have scouted it first. Couldn't even find a place to park let alone figure out how to get the boat in the water, lol. Pulled in, pulled out and hit plan B!
That lot gets full with the kayak rental and picnic crowds...but the signs say car top only, no trailer parking permitted. Just a heads up if you were trailering your aluminum.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansnat View Post
I fished Round Valley all afternoon yesterday and only came up with a 1 lb smallie while lead line trolling for trout. It probably was a tough bite this weekend everywhere.

But specifics about which reservoir you were fishing would be helpful for obtaining advice. Every one is different. Some are rocky, some aren't. Some have plenty of weeds, some don't. The way you fish the Newark sheds would be quite different from the way you fish Round Valley or Merrill Creek.
Tough weekend on the Valley, I would have paid for a 1 LB smallie!

Got out Saturday, was like 43 degrees when I left the house and the lake was empty at 6:30 AM and never got busy when I left shortly after 9. Couldn't buy a bite with the bass, I brought my ultra-lite along as I had some small Keitechs left and I must have found a school as I quickly caught caught 6 red breasted sunfish. Had never caught one at the Valley before that day so interesting I had a big run on them and not a single rock bass.

Went out again on Monday also at 6:30 but a good deal warmer and a lot more boats out there. I got nothing on that day, a couple of tugs on the small Keitches but nothing hooked.

Didn't mark or sight any fish along structure or drop-offs. Fish I did mark were down 15 to 20 feet where the water was 30 feet deep and a flat bottom. Tried some trolling some small and big stuff with the yak to cover more ground and still nothing.

Just tough conditions statewide I guess. Hopefully things get better this month.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:43 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigman13 View Post
Rocky structure is perfect to ultra light/ finesse bounce z man trd tubes on 6-8 lb fluoro. Irresistible to smallies
Amen man.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mystery...-shot-rig/amp/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0819.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	116390