NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Manasquan Reservoir recommendations? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-31-2017, 11:35 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Manasquan Reservoir recommendations?

I prefer using mealworms for fishing for sunnies with the kids. They stick on the hook better and it's harder for the fish to get them off without getting hooked. Good Luck.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich196 View Post
You will do great with garden worms, even night crawlers at Manasquan, you can fish off either dock on the ramp, but I recommend going to the left and fishing off the pier they have, because the docks do not have any railing as the pier does, you can also buy live shiners right at the ranger station right there, they also carry a good amount of different tackle, and they dont rip you off. Enjoy... The kids will catch many many fish, sunnies etc. if you use the shiners with a bobber, trust me, you will have a chance to catch a huge fish right from that pier.
Rich clear out your PMs
Old 08-31-2017, 02:35 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
You will do great with garden worms, even night crawlers at Manasquan, you can fish off either dock on the ramp, but I recommend going to the left and fishing off the pier they have, because the docks do not have any railing as the pier does, you can also buy live shiners right at the ranger station right there, they also carry a good amount of different tackle, and they dont rip you off. Enjoy... The kids will catch many many fish, sunnies etc. if you use the shiners with a bobber, trust me, you will have a chance to catch a huge fish right from that pier.
Have to try the pier next time; walked to a little beach right of the ramp. Lots of hits but nothing hooked. Had nightcrawlers but they were huge and were ripped off pretty easily. Was not aware they sold bait there; good to know. Thx!
Old 08-31-2017, 02:36 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy View Post
I prefer using mealworms for fishing for sunnies with the kids. They stick on the hook better and it's harder for the fish to get them off without getting hooked. Good Luck.
Good call; the nightcrawlers were taken off the hook repeatedly :P
Next time....
Old 08-31-2017, 03:52 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I agree with all above but don't forget the Berkley power wigglers. I keep a couple packs handy for my son , niece or nephew. use with size 8 hook or 10, split shot bb or unweighted and small bobber. quick action is what ya need for the kids
Old 09-01-2017, 05:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Yes there are a few dock pets just like most lakes with alot of pressure where guys use live bait....Those fish make their living on fisherman emptying their bait buckets before departure, and theyve saved the day fer tourney guys having a tough day....